Pronunciation poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you say willamette?

• will- ah- MET

• will- AM- et

• WUH- lam- et

• NEVER- does not belong in MY beer!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Most like this: will- AM- et

Was on Brew Dogs last night so that must be right.

While we're criticizing each other's grammar, who pronounces Amarillo phonetically vs. the Spanish pronunciation?

Phonetic from the native speaker of English or Spanish? ;)

I learned the word while learning Spanish long before I heard of a city in Tejas with that name. Hence, "ah-mah-REE-yo."

Half the country can't even pronounce Oregon correctly. We should start with that before moving on to Willamette.

Folks definitely say that incorrectly around here. Across the river lies Oregon, OH we mostly say "Or a gon" instead of the correct "Or ə gin"

I spent 2 years calling it Wil-la-met-te, with a kind of Dutch lilt to my voice, before hearing a farmer who grows it say the word.

I cringe when I hear people say heh Fa why zen instead of Hay fə vy tzen.... I guess maybe I can correct myself regarding Willamette... 'nuff rubes 'round these here parts what c'aint talk good.

+1 for Alice Cooper- stand up guy!

Phonetic from the native speaker of English or Spanish? ;)

I learned the word while learning Spanish long before I heard of a city in Tejas with that name. Hence, "ah-mah-REE-yo."

Just wait to you get south of Amarillo to the city of Lamesa. In Spanish it is two words- La Mesa (La MAY-sa.) But to the gringos it has become one word, pronounced (LaMEsah)

Us honkies ruin everything.

After brewing and bottling my first batch of beer successfully, im on to my next challenge, what beer to brew next! Any suggestions?

While on the topic of pronunciation, this has far less letters. But how long did everyone when first starting out pronounced WORT to rhyme with fort rather that rhyming with dirt?

Half the country can't even pronounce Oregon correctly. We should start with that before moving on to Willamette.

What? How does half the country pronounce it? And why are there 10 pages on how to pronounce Willamette?

After brewing and bottling my first batch of beer successfully, im on to my next challenge, what beer to brew next! Any suggestions?

Anything that contains Willamette no matter how you pronounce it. Welcome to the forums... if you want a slightly more serious answer I suggest starting a new thread in the Beginner's Beer Forum---> https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/

Brew whatever you want to drink, really.

I probably butcher the German noble varieties worse than williamette. (Tettnang, Hallertau, and Hersbrucker in particular).

I grow my own Williamette so I feel free to add my own Minnesotan accent to it. Maybe I should start calling it wil-la-MOAT, as we say "I put on my Cooaat and got in the Booaat".

More seriously on Williamette though, we need Denny to chime in. Isn't he from that area in Oregon?

Oh, we do it up here, too. Lima, Steubenville, Milan, we have plenty in Ohio. You don't want to know how any of these are pronounced here; it'll just make you angry.

Don't forget about Lebanon, OH. They always know I'm not from around here when I pronounce it "LEB-uh-non".

A lot of people mispronounce it with an e one the end. Oregone...

Wow, I've never heard anyone pronounce it that way. Of course, lots of people think we grow potatoes in Iowa, too. And some people don't even know where Iowa is!

I probably butcher the German noble varieties worse than williamette. (Tettnang, Hallertau, and Hersbrucker in particular).

I grow my own Williamette so I feel free to add my own Minnesotan accent to it. Maybe I should start calling it wil-la-MOAT, as we say "I put on my Cooaat and got in the Booaat".

More seriously on Williamette though, we need Denny to chime in. Isn't he from that area in Oregon?

Only Denny can pronounce Willamette?

I'm a native Oregonian, and have lived all over the country.
Posted many times previously in this thread:
Will-AAA(as in drag)-met (or "mit"). Emphasis on 2nd syllable.
Many American hop varieties were developed at Oregon State University's hop breeding program, hence the Pacific Northwest names. Mt. Hood, Willamette, Cascade, Newport come to mind.
Based on what some folks have previously posted, I will now pronounce Chicago as "Shy-keg-oh" because I feel like that sounds better off of my tongue. :mug:

Wow, I've never heard anyone pronounce it that way. Of course, lots of people think we grow potatoes in Iowa, too. And some people don't even know where Iowa is!

but not in your defense, your haul trucks need signs on the back telling y'all not to follow them into the work site. bwahahahhahaa!!!

tumblr_mvdkh4QXi51qm7oolo1_1280.jpg

^ This! Roadkill Wolf.... if I had coffee in my mouth when I saw that it would be all over my monitor.

I will remember that I said "Will-uh-mett" until now the next time I hear someone saying "AL-buh-NEE" instead of "All-buh-nee" and be less irked.

Saying "SHEN-ek-TAY-dee" instead of Schenectady I will still prosecute to the full extent of Upstate Law.

TL;DR: I think this is a problem everywhere. Thanks for correcting my pronunciation of "Willamette."

Now we need a thread for Saaz. (I think it is pronounced: "tsotz.")

Sitting in Niskayuna now having a beer Strange :)

My girlfriend is from NYC and pronounces everything wrong (anything ending in an a becomes er) so does regional pronunciation really mean much? Other than people talk different everywhere.

Back