Maybe a don't miss episode for homebrewed-belgian style beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
The Sept. 10th Saison Show on:
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php

I listened to this today and, while quite long, it provided a lot of useful information on beer(mostly saisons and belgians though). Jamil's show is not w/o its faults IMHO, but this one had good info. Interesting information included was:
-How to get your saisons to finish dry
-Over pitching can cause a belgian styles flavor profile to be lacking
-Need to start ferment cool and then ramp up temp to avoid fusels but get good flavor/attenuation
-Discussion of Saison yeast strains - including new ones from whitelabs from Chris White of whitelabs
There was a lot of other good stuff, you get the point - I need to relisten, even though its long.

i listened to it today too, interesting show and now I know what I did wrong, I mashed low but not nearly long enough....guess thats why it finished 1.040 from 1.080...the temp control will be tough for those of us without dedicated fermentation temperature control devices...

Oh, one of the huge(important) topics covered was stalled ferments. They discussed this with regard to saisons not finishing dry enough, and what to do to drop the grav. IIRC, Jamil said just pitching 'champagne' yeast would not work! Also IIRC, he said you need to get the yeast going, like in another batch, and add that - just adding the yeast would not work. Anyway this was another interesting topic covered in the show.

Back