Irish Stout Irish Car Bomb Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed last night, in primary now bubbling away. Looking forward to this one. Ended up just using 1.5oz Goldings to keep the IBUs in the 30s and in range for the style of beer according to BeerSmith.

Hey guys,

I just joined this forum, but Google has lead me to it many times in my past year of home brewing. I just brewed a Milk Stout for my wife and I's anniversary and my idea was to go for something like a milk stout with bailey's in it. I realize we can't really add Bailey's to it as discussed, but my original idea was to just 'recreate' the key flavors in baileys by adding a little almond extract, vanilla extract and maybe a super small amount of coffee.

After reading all this I am tempted to also use Jameson and oak chips, but what do you guys think about the use of almond extract and coffee?

Hey guys,

I just joined this forum, but Google has lead me to it many times in my past year of home brewing. I just brewed a Milk Stout for my wife and I's anniversary and my idea was to go for something like a milk stout with bailey's in it. I realize we can't really add Bailey's to it as discussed, but my original idea was to just 'recreate' the key flavors in baileys by adding a little almond extract, vanilla extract and maybe a super small amount of coffee.

After reading all this I am tempted to also use Jameson and oak chips, but what do you guys think about the use of almond extract and coffee?

I think Vanilla and Jameson are the way to go, but adding oak, almond extract, and coffee doesn't sound like a good idea. I think you may end up with a muddle of flavors that don't really taste like much.

That's just my $0.02 though.

I think Vanilla and Jameson are the way to go, but adding oak, almond extract, and coffee doesn't sound like a good idea. I think you may end up with a muddle of flavors that don't really taste like much.

That's just my $0.02 though.

Yeah that makes sense, I was thinking of doing one or the other not all of them. So like a little vanilla extract, almond and coffee in secondary like maybe a week before bottling or going the whiskey route, but the whiskey route just seems like a better pair for even a sweet milk stout like mine.

Thanks for the feedback.

Question.. after the 2 weeks when u rack to a secondary could you just move to a corney.. add the Jameson vanilla mixture and allow it to age in the keg ?.. or should you age in a secondary carboy ?.. I'd imagine most of the fermentation would be done after the initial 2 weeks ?.. just curious

Cheers guys

Question.. after the 2 weeks when u rack to a secondary could you just move to a corney.. add the Jameson vanilla mixture and allow it to age in the keg ?.. or should you age in a secondary carboy ?.. I'd imagine most of the fermentation would be done after the initial 2 weeks ?.. just curious

Cheers guys

That's what I do! Though I usually remove the chunks of bean from the mixture before I put it in the keg. Don't want it gummin up the dip tube or my draft system.

That's what I do! Though I usually remove the chunks of bean from the mixture before I put it in the keg. Don't want it gummin up the dip tube or my draft system.

Didn't think of that lol.. great call.. put it in the keg.. add a little gas.. bleed out the o2 and just let it go.. leave it in the fridge I assume ?

Didn't think of that lol.. great call.. put it in the keg.. add a little gas.. bleed out the o2 and just let it go.. leave it in the fridge I assume ?

Usually I sanitize my keg, then purge to O2. Then I put the Jameson/vanilla mixture in first and then rack the beer on top of it. I figure it's a good way to mix everything up. Then I just let it sit. I think I have left it at home temp before, but I can't remember. I doubt if fridge vs. room will have much affect on the finished product.

If you have already kegged then I think just pouring the mixture into the keg will be just fine too.

Back