Left over grain APA/IPA with harvested WLP001 yeast recipe build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzik

Reaction score
I have some good, clean, harvested WLP001 that I made a 2L starter with on Friday. I fully intended to brew this morning, but it will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

I'm coming to the end of my inventory from my last buy of grains, so I wanted to use some of them up. Plus, I got that crap load hops that I just bought..

So this is what I currently have in inventory:
Enough 2 Row
1lb 2oz 20L
1lb 4oz 40L
2oz Munich
2lb 15oz CaraPils
2lb 2oz Vienna

1+ lbs each of Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Crystal, Magnum, Nugget, Willamette.

It can be an APA, IPA, whatever, but based on the yeast and what hops I have, I'm thinking it will lend itself mostly to either one of those styles. It can be creative, it can be boring, just looking for suggestions. I was probably thinking 8-9lbs 2 row, and either a 1lb of 20, 40 or Vienna. Any thoughts on picking a hop schedule?

Did you brew already? 40L is a bit heavy, but uses it up :)

6lb 2 row (57%)
2 lb 15 oz Vienna (28%)
1lb 4 oz 40L (12%)
4 oz CaraPils (2%)
2 oz Munich (1%)

75% eff brings in 1.056

Regarding hopping, try bittering with Magnum/Columbus for 60m and 30m additions to ~35 - 40 IBUS. Fill out the rest of the hopping with 2-4 oz total across 15m/5m/0m with Cascade. Then dry hop.

90% 2-Row
10% Vienna

Chinook bittering
Chinook, Amarillo Flavor
Amarillo, Cascade late and dry hops
60 IBU, 1.052 SG

I just brewed up this last month and it came out to be a real nice APA/IPA. After about 10-12 days in the keg, the beer had a real nice balance. Unfortunately, there was only half left at the time thanks to a couple of euchre games with some friends.

12# 2-row
2# Vienna
10oz Crystal 40
.5# carapils

1.25oz Chinook- 60 min
1oz Amarillo- 20 min
1oz Cascade-20 min
1oz Amarillo-15 min
1oz Cascade-10 min
.5oz Amarillo-flameout
.5oz Cascade-flameout

O.G.- 1.068