To soon to bottle my hophead ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I am on the first week in secondary with 2 oz of cascade leaf hops. When I took a gravity reading before I racked it was 1.014. The S. G. was 1.070. Will it be to soon to bottle in 7 days or would it be better to let sit another week?

I wouldn't want to leave it for too long on top of hops, but there again, you don't want exploding bottles... How long was it in primary for?
EDIT: 1.014 sounds quite reasonable for something that started off that high, but I'd imagine it'd have quite a bit of secondary fermentation to do

If you're talking the Midwest kit, IIRC, 1.014 is pretty much on target so you don't have to fear bottle bombs. I'd let it hang out on the dry hops 'till you get the aroma you're looking for then go ahead and bottle.

Let me know how this turns on and what your times in Primary and Secondary were.
I plan on doing this kit next. I have heard lots of great things about it!

When I made this one I was pumped for getting lots of beers made (I ordered 5 kits at once) so I secondaried after 6 days, and then kegged two weeks later. The beer was gone two weeks after I made it...whoops...

I know now that I rushed through it, but DAMN it was tasty!

It was in primary for 8 days. I used safale 05. The first time I made this kit I was at 1.020 after 8 days and 1.016 after 14 in secondary. The beer was great, This was also my first full boil recipe so I do not know what if anything that did to the brew. The recipe specs were FG of 1.016 to 1.018. So I am under that as it stands.

More thoughts?

Back