Making 2 gallon kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually, I am now thinking about how the beer would actually be dispensed. maybe it would just be easier to put a food grade hose on the assembly and dispense from the handle already on the fire extinguisher.
Ah yes... somebody finally understood what I tried to explain twice. The only problem is that these things will shoot a 25' stream of water so the flow would have to be slowed down. This is where stuffing the diptube with epoxy mixing sticks comes in. They would reduce and slow down the flow so a pint could be pulled without overfoaming.

Edit: one of these days I will read the last posts first:D

I have one of these fire extinguishers being shipped to me right now. I got a lot of great info on this thread and plan on going with the epoxy mixing stick to slow the pour.

i plan on trying out everything with plain water a few times before risking any beer. I will post updates on my progress.

Ah yes... somebody finally understood what I tried to explain twice. The only problem is that these things will shoot a 25' stream of water so the flow would have to be slowed down. This is where stuffing the diptube with epoxy mixing sticks comes in. They would reduce and slow down the flow so a pint could be pulled without overfoaming.

Edit: one of these days I will read the last posts first:D

They also have a charge of over 60 psi. I use the two I have as super soaker on the kids in the neighborhood ... And no I'm not a mean old bastard its all play time..They get me pretty good

I abandoned this because I just bought four 3 gallon corny's

As beerthirty stated to replace the dip tube with stainless. I would then add a short press fitted stainless plug in the end and keep drilling it out until you get the amount of reduced flow your looking for. The rest is changing the fill valve and exit hose to bier equipment. The wall thickness of these extinguishers I would bet is thicker than a corny keg being a fire safety device ment for heavy abuse and a pressure safety factor many times over the operating pressure they are rated at.
I had one in the back yard as the PO was a fireman, it was 30" in diameter, 5'
tall with 5' tall metal spoke wheels, must of weighed over 400 pounds. Got $300 for it by a collector. The kids at 1 and 3 were getting hurt on it glad I got what I wanted for it, the tank was copper.

I recall in my day in school the brass ones you turned upside down and had baking powder and water inside I believe. What a mess when you flipped one and ran all I remember.

I have one of these fire extinguishers being shipped to me right now. I got a lot of great info on this thread and plan on going with the epoxy mixing stick to slow the pour.

i plan on trying out everything with plain water a few times before risking any beer. I will post updates on my progress.

Why would you need to do anything different with this than with a corney? Use the right length hose and proper pressure and you'll be all set.

Just checked them out again on Ebay. Looks like the prices are going up! Might have to call some places downstate and see if they have any for sale. Might be easier than ebay.

I got an extinguisher. So far looks relatively easy to convert to keg. Will cost more than corny, so probably only an option for those looking to use smaller kegs to fit more in the kegerator. Might still work out to be cheaper than small corneys. Will have to see what total cost is though.

Need to plug at least one hole and add an adapter or two to get disconnects on it. Plus the SS dip tube.

I see no reason why it can't be done though.

You can make anything different and better than the original intended design, question is how much money and time do you want to spend? This looks like a project costing more than a real 2 1/2 or 3 gallon corney but you built it yourself. Those fires extinglishers so far cost much more than as a short corny in my area before adding the parts and labor to fully convert them.

I'd love to see the finished project. Whether or not it costs more is a moot point I think. A former fire extinguisher that pours beer would be a plus for ANY fireman/firehouse (no, not for use while they are on duty). Write up some plans, copyright them, then liscence the idea to Bud and Coors. You've got a gold mine there. I know several guys that would probably spend a couple hundred bucks just to have one sitting at their homebar

You can make anything different and better than the original intended design, question is how much money and time do you want to spend? This looks like a project costing more than a real 2 1/2 or 3 gallon corney but you built it yourself. Those fires extinglishers so far cost much more than as a short corny in my area before adding the parts and labor to fully convert them.

This is true. It's cost me a bit more than I hoped, but I ordered a SS adapter that would have been much less in Brass if I was paying attention.

Plus, the short corneys are nice, but to fit three kegs in my fridge, one of them has to be smaller AROUND. I'd say I will have $50 into this when all is said and done. Maybe less next time when I have a better idea of what to buy and where to get it.

I'd like to test it soon. I found a 15" SS tube that would work for testing. a longer piece is on order. Only thing missing is adding an inflater valve to the CO2 line to charge it and some clamps to hook it all up.

I am a bit disappointed, that even if swap all kegs to extinguishers, I'll only be able to fit 3 in my fridge unless I take out the door shelf, and I'd hate to do that because I keep a large selection of bottles there.

Still, 3 is better than 2.

Back