Hops in containers questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about getting some large containers and growing some extra hop plants for decorative/ privacy use. The neighbors and I both have raised decks, and we just need a little something.

I am considering some 2-1/2 foot tall ceramic pots and putting a trellis structure in them. That's the easy part.

If my hops do take off in the pots, and I'm able to keep them alive all summer, then what? Do container hops need to be taken care of during the Michigan winters? Can I just leave them out? Roll the pots into the garage? Do I take them out of the pots, trim and put them in the fridge or something? Seriously clueless.

Thanks in advance

I would bring them into the garage if you can. So much of the root structure is exposed to the prolonged freezing temps, I'd be concerned.

I wouldn't think you'd need to do anything. I would think hops in the ground in the Pacific NW roots would get just as cold as yours in the pots

Agreed. Pull them into your garage during the winter. The containers will not have the insulation needed to protect the hops' roots through the long winter. Better to be safe than sorry!

I wouldn't think you'd need to do anything. I would think hops in the ground in the Pacific NW roots would get just as cold as yours in the pots

Ah, NO. The winters here rarely get below freezing (frost line? what's that?) whereas Michigan gets a bit colder. OK a LOT colder. After harvest just cut the bines down to the soil level and keep them in your garage, they should be alright. The roots are cold resistant, but there's no need to torture the poor things.

Back