Barleywine with oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
Okay, be okay to leave the chips in until I keg, I'm guessing, maybe even into the keg with them?

I would taste the brew every few days to determine how much of the bourbon taste your palate can handle and go from there. Once you get to that limit, go ahead and package without the chips. If you include the chips with the bourbon, you will continue to extract more bourbon flavor and it will get too intense.

I would taste the brew every few days to determine how much of the bourbon taste your palate can handle and go from there. Once you get to that limit, go ahead and package without the chips. If you include the chips with the bourbon, you will continue to extract more bourbon flavor and it will get too intense.

I understand what you are saying, but don't want to get into it too many times. I am rather thrilled about the fact that I have concocted such a brew on my second ever brewing episode. I would hate to risk an infection now. Some friends and I each took a 2-3 ounce sample today, and it is good!

Hey Bobby, howd the barley wine on bourbon go? Thinking about making one of these as a christmas tradition for next year, any pointers?

Back