What the Heck am I Growing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoseff

Reaction score
So, long story short, a couple years ago my wife and I took over my parents house. My mother had planted some hops in the backyard as decoration. Last year I harvested some, thinking they were either Nugget or Cascade. I could be completely wrong. But they had a very pleasant, almost sweet, piney scent, and they bittered quite well.
However, this year I pulled a couple cones and they don' have the same scent at all. The have a very strong citrus profile this year, no pine at all. Same rhizomes as last year though.

No effects to indicate something other than hops, especially something in the same family.

WP_20150801_20_37_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20150801_20_37_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20150801_20_38_21_Pro.jpg

Could be a variety that has both characteristics and your soil conditions have changed to favor one over the other. Google "hop wheel" and you'll get a good site on hops and their flavors/scents

Something interesting I heard on a podcast. depending on when you harvest (ie now or waiting couple months) you can get different flavor aspects from the hops. One of the brewery's that was on the show has to take a certain hop at a certain time to get the flavor's they are looking for if they wait too long they lose the piney aspect of the hop. Take this for what it's worth, Not saying this is true with all hops though, but that might be why you are getting different flavor notes.

How about the possibility there are 2 different varieties growing and one is getting better conditions this year than last?

Latest posts

Back