Sanke fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layne

Reaction score
I want to switch to fermenting in sankes.
I am looking at Brewers harware's Sanke fermenter kit, Sabco's fermenter, and want to know if there are other options to consider before I make a decision.
Any reccommendations?
Any pros/cons?
Thanks in advance guys.

Layne,

I have the one from Brewers Hardware.
It's the only one I have any experience with but would highly recommend it.

Ed

Check out this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/closed-system-pressurized-fermentation-technique-44344/

He just uses some modified sanke couplers to make it work.

I recently kegged up a batch in a sanke keg (1/4) and to be honest, it is a better system than the cornies. When I move to big batches again (eventually way down the road) I will change my system over to use sanke connections. Very easy to clean, and absolutely no leaks.

I do it old school with just a bung and air lock, but I love fermenting in the kegs. best suguestion would be to get something with casters on it so you can roll it around. my keg trolly is the same hight as my fridge, so I can roll it up and just slide it in. a keg + 10 gals of beer is heavy.

Thanks guys.
I am fermenting in cornys now, and want to move to one vessel, even on 10g batches, AND, would like some 'extra room' in the fermenter. 5 gals in a corny is a tight fit, and no room for trube.
I also bought a hop stopper and a therminator. I'd like to try one pass into the fermenter.

Layne, I have half a dozen Sankes. I have one of the kits from Brewer's hardware. I have half a dozen orange carboy caps.

I haven't used the Brewer's Hardware kit in any of the last 10 or so batches.

I transfer under pressure and even when I have used a Cornie with 40 PSI as a "jumper" CO2 canister, the Carboy caps have not flinched.

Neither the BH kit or a carboy cap are going to allow you to dump the trub or yeast cake so you will have to transfer to a secondary for dry hopping or secondary if you do that kind of thing, so there is no real difference there.

I love fermenting in Sankes. I do not see the need to buy anything other than the tap connector you should have anyway for serving the Sanke. 10 gallons should work fine with just the connector and a blow off tube coming out of the gas port with the check valve removed. Or you can pressure ferment the whole batch like I do. Sanke will allow you to seal up the whole keg a few points shy of finish and get fully carbonated beer as well.

Layne, I have half a dozen Sankes. I have one of the kits from Brewer's hardware. I have half a dozen orange carboy caps.

I haven't used the Brewer's Hardware kit in any of the last 10 or so batches.

I transfer under pressure and even when I have used a Cornie with 40 PSI as a "jumper" CO2 canister, the Carboy caps have not flinched.

Neither the BH kit or a carboy cap are going to allow you to dump the trub or yeast cake so you will have to transfer to a secondary for dry hopping or secondary if you do that kind of thing, so there is no real difference there.

Randar,

I'm just following you around on HBT. Can you explain your transfering under pressure techniques with both the Carboy caps and the Brewer's Hardware kit?

On a side note, what size (model) fridge are you using for your fermentation chamber? I'm having a hard time getting mine to drop below 48*.

So you're saying you can put one of those carboy caps
(the plastic things with the two tubes poking out - one at an angle - have I got this right?), and it doesn't pop off at 40psi? If you are talking about what I'm thinking about, well that's amazing. I can't imagine them taking more than a couple psi.

Back