Advise on 5 Gallon MLT capacity with this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demfer

Reaction score
I helped a friend build a 5gallon stainless steel braided MLT from a cooler (FlyGuy inspired). He has brewed 3 AG batches which have turned out well. Now he wants me to help him out with a Rochefort 10 clone.

This batch which I helped scale from 5Gal to 3Gal requires about 12.5Lbs of grain with a target Pre-Boil gravity of 1.087, and Target post Boil @1.113. Will this mash be possible? Are we over capacity. I know we are getting close.

Strike is 3.6Gallons @ 165F
Sparge is 2.2Gallons @ 192F

I beleive these calculations came from his Brew Pal app.
Worse case schenario we would brew at my house with my higher capacity MLT but I would like to avoid it if possible.

I helped a friend build a 5gallon stainless steel braided MLT from a cooler (FlyGuy inspired). He has brewed 3 AG batches which have turned out well. Now he wants me to help him out with a Rochefort 10 clone.

This batch which I helped scale from 5Gal to 3Gal requires about 12.5Lbs of grain with a target Pre-Boil gravity of 1.087, and Target post Boil @1.113. Will this mash be possible? Are we over capacity. I know we are getting close.

Strike is 3.6Gallons @ 165F
Sparge is 2.2Gallons @ 192F

I beleive these calculations came from his Brew Pal app.
Worse case schenario we would brew at my house with my higher capacity MLT but I would like to avoid it if possible.

As long as you know you're getting close to capacity you're ok. I would give it a shot because you never know until you do it. Get the grain in and add your water to the grain. If you're not able to get all 3.6 gallons in, don't sweat it. The mash may be thinner, but will work just as well. You may need to do a 90 minute mash rest because of the thinner mash, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

You may need to sparge a little more too, so a set up capable of doing a 6 gallon boil would be handy to have on hand if you don't already have it.

Thanks for the feedback, it will be a 90 min mash at 150F. His brewpot is only 20qt/5G, so I may need to bring mine.

Back