High temperature tubing as a pick up/dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
Assembling my all grain equipment and I have some high temperature tubing laying around. If I use a 3/8 barb and some high temp. tubing will that suffice as a dip tube in the boil kettle? What problems would I encounter? Would that be too hot for the tubing? Thanks for the input.

I've used a short section of silicon tubing stretched over my diptube to help it reach the bottom. I had no problems. Just be sure it really is high temp tubing. Only issues I can think of are if you use propane and the flames get the surface of the bottom too hot......

Bump for more input.

I'm finishing up my HLT and was thinking of using some extra high-temp silicone tubing as a dip tube. It'll be run off a stainless nipple in an aluminum pot being heated with propane. Haven't figured out how I'll get it to bend and stay bent, but was hoping it could withstand the heating of strike and sparge water...

A piece of heavy gauge wire can be coiled around the tube allowing you to shape it. Pure copper would be good. However a copper dip tube is pretty easy to sweat together.

Back