1.070 apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalamcor

Reaction score
well i wasnt watching which bag i grabbed and dumped in about 4 lbs of corn sugar instead of the 2 lb. pitched the 5g of montrachet. about what abv am i looking at, and will i have any problems with the montrachet with the higher gravity. (didnt realize i made the mistake til i took the sg)(sorry if this has been answered elsewhere already)

You should be fine with Montrachet as it's good to 13-14%.
It's going to be really dry and give you a heck of a hangover if you drink too much. :D

would it be possible to split that batch between two fermentors and fill to the top with more apple juice to cut down on the amount of sugar, even though yeast was already pitched?

would it be possible to split that batch between two fermentors and fill to the top with more apple juice to cut down on the amount of sugar, even though yeast was already pitched?

With absolutely no past experience of this situation I say go for it...

But do it now while the yeast are still multiplying don't wait that way they should mop up any of the oxygen (if any) introduced during the transfer.

If you are going to wait, just wait till someone with experience pipes in (shouldn't be long... :D)

excelent thanks for the advice it was just pitched last night so i should have a little bit of time yet i need to pick up another airlock and drilled stopper anyways (well maybe another five or ten)

i need to pick up another airlock and drilled stopper anyways (well maybe another five or ten)

That's the spirit... 10 gallons of apfelwine here you come... :ban:

Edit:
Oh and I'd like to add that there is no NEED to split it... But if you WANT the lower percentage drink you were aiming for go for it...

Otherwise lots of aging time will be needed for the high abv apple wine...

very true i think i may just start a second batch with a lower abv, might as well have both so i can compare and see what i like. and thanks again for the reply

very true i think i may just start a second batch with a lower abv, might as well have both so i can compare and see what i like. and thanks again for the reply

That sounds like a good idea to me, it'd be nice to have a comparison... I don't think I've seen anyone go quite that high ABV w/ apfelwein. Just make sure to let it age quite a while before you pass judgement.

Worst case you can just dilute it in the glass.

well it will definatley be warming the stomache, how long would you recomend aging, i was thinking about 6-8 months but i have no problem letting it sit til next winter, or would that be too long for an apfelwein

Next winter would be a good idea I'd say...

When it's done fermenting rack off the lees, then rack every three months. Campden might be a good addition every other racking. Then bottle next summer or so and keep till near christmas... Just a suggestion...

Sure. Just stir real well, pour 1/2 into a clean sanitized carboy and then top off both with more apple juice.

You'll be back to normal gravity that way and you will have double the pleasure instead of 5 gallons of high octane stuff you may not like.

thanks EdWort, decided to keep the high octane and make a full other batch strictly adhereing to the recipe (actualy paid attention to what i was doing). but your info will definately help since i will most likely end up doing something like this again.

I think that sounds like the better idea anyway. You were planning on one batch of apfelwein. A second regular batch will only cost you 2 lbs of sugar above what splitting it would take. So, you get what you were after in the first place, plus you get a nice high ABV experiment to start enjoying in a year or so.

That'd be a good one to open a bottle of every 6 months or so and spread it out over a few years. As always, the last bottle is sure to be the best one.

as long as i can keep my hands off of it for that long! ive been trying to keep myself busy brewing something new each time i want to open something that isnt done.

Back