20 minute boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you listen to the Brewing Network. A few times they've talked about a late addition extract brew (only adding the extract for the last 20ish minutes of the boil to cut down on carmelization and suchlike). Separately they've mentioned just adding your hops at the end of the boil (20 minute boil is really inefficient as far a hop utilization goes, but apparently the bitterness is quite smooth. But you need to use enough hops).

....20 minute IPA:ban:

I took a grape&grain extract w/ steeping grains kit. I steeped my grains in about 4.5 gallons of water and got it boiling, added my extract (4lbs LME, 2lbs DME) got it back to a boil and added my hops... 2ozs cascade, 4ozs willamette and the package of bittering hops that came with the kit, for good measure. Start timer, 20 minutes. Added the hops that came with the kit for 15 minutes and 2 minutes. Cooled it with a gallon of ice and a cold water bath. I'll also be dry hopping it with another ounce of cascade. My og was 1.050, just in range for an IPA. The recipator gives me somewhere between 40 and 80 IBUs.

Tasted it before fermenting and it was nice tasting and decently bitter, especially the hop squeezings.

No disrespect catfish, but why? :confused: I understand the late extract addition, but other than saving 40 minutes, what did the late hop additions buy you. It looks like you'd have to use 3 times the hops, and to what advantage?

From what I've heard it's an "incredibly smooth biterness" what that will really mean with the finished beer, I dunno, but I'm willing to use $5 worth of hops to find out.

Back