SMaSH Ideas for Golden Promise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooper

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas, based on your own experience, what would be a good SMaSH (or a grouping) set up based on what I have.

I picked up a bag of Golden Promise from the LHBS and I picked up the following hops at Hops Direct.

I also have some WLP029 – German Ale/Kölsch from a previous recipe.

Admiral UK - Leaf
2013 Crop Alpha Acid: 14.9%Bittering hop with a citrusy, orange flavor. Typical Brewing Style: Ales, Lager, and Porter.Possible Substitution: Challenger or Northdown. Good compliment to Target

Galena - Leaf
Alpha Acid: 14.1 % Bittering hop with a very citrusy aroma. Typical Brewing Style: English Ale, and American Ale. Possible Substitution: Nugget

Junga - Leaf
Alpha Acid 9.9% Bittering hop with a blackcurrant, spicy, grapefruity aroma. Typical Brewing Styles: Lagers and Ales Possible Substitutions: Target, Nugget, or Galena Imported from Poland

Mellenium - Pellets
Alpha Acid: 11.8% Bittering hop with a mild herbal, floral, resiny and a slightly spicy aroma. Typical Brewing Style: Ale, Stout, and Barley Wine. Possible Substitution: Nugget or Columbus.

Magnum US- Pellets
Alpha Acid: 11.9% Bittering hop with a spicy, citrus clean aroma. Typical Brewing Style: Lager, Pilsner, Stout, and Ale Possible Substitute: GR. MAGNUM

**EDIT** I just picked up a pound each of these as well

Fuggles US - Pellets
Alpha Acid: 3.1-4.4% Aroma hop with a mild wood, slightly fruity, pleasant aroma. Typical Brewing Style: English Beer, American Ale, and Lambic. Possible Substitution: Styrian Golding, Willamette, &Tettnanger

Golding US - Pellets
Alpha Acid: 4.0 % Aroma hop with a mild, gentle, delicate fragrant flowery tones. Classic English type aroma. Typical Brewing Style: English Bitters, English Pale Ale, Belgian Ale, Barley Wine. Possible Substitution: East Kent Golding, Fuggle, Styrian Golding, or Willamette.

Legacy - Pellets
Alpha Acid 6.2% Dual Purpose hop with a clean grapefruit, floral, blackcurrant , and spicy aroma. Typical Brewing Style: Ales, Lagers, and Stouts. Possible Substitution: Cluster, Galena, or Northern Brewer.

Willamette - Pellets
Alpha Acid: 4.8% Aroma hop with a mild , pleasant, slightly spicy aroma. Typical Brewing Style: English Ale, US Pale Ale, and US Brown Willamette would be an excellent choice for making a Hop Tea or a Hop Sleep Pillow.

I know *some of* these are in the higher AA spectrum and would be best used as bittering additions only but wanted to see what you guys thought and thanks for the advice!

John

Id go with Junga or Millenium. Most of those other ones are not known for their aromatic properties. Like you do a SMaSH beer to learn about the hop and the malt and what they contribute to the beer. No point seeing what magnum really tastes like since it obviously has been pigeonholed into a "bittering only" hop

As a SMaSH with wlp029? I think I would go Willamette, to about 30-35 ibu with 80% of the ibu in the last 20 min.

I'll put my vote in for Millenium. Columbus is one of my favorite hops, and if Millenium is considered a sub for it, then I'd be interested to see how it would do on it's own.

I've brewed golden promise with cascade and citra,brewing a golden promise and cascade at this minute.

The SMaSH recipe from seriouseats.com used Golden Promise and looked to be a good recipe. Maybe check that out.

Back