Affordable Smoker Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markvale5

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get into smoking meat but the majority of my spare change goes into brewing improvements. Is there any affordable smoker ideas out there? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Just get a cheap charcoal grill.
Set up the grill with the coals on one side so you are cooking indirectly and toss some wood chips or some small pieces wood and you're good. Cant anymore simpler or cheaper.

I purchased a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker for about $150 and I love it! I turn it on, put the meat in and don't really have to check it. I add wood chips about every hour and maybe add a bit of water.

About six months or so ago I saw smoked pork chops posted by tempted2 . An Oster roaster smoker was mentioned.A what? Googled it and immediatly ordered one for my son who lives in an apartment.When I saw the smoked meat it produced I ordered one for myself.It was 49.99 on amazon that week.I should mention I have two larger electric and one propane smoker ,but damn for that money this thing will smoke a chicken , a couple racks of ribs ,a decent sized pork shoulder or whatever.Best way to get in cheap there is.Btw,thanks tempted.

You're welcome, VP! Glad you like it. I love the thing.

I bought a rack from Sous Vide Supreme called a "universal pouch rack" (because they assume you'll be putting vacuum-sealed pouches into it in your sous vide setup) and it is a perfect thing for that Oster smoker roaster. I can put three racks of baby back ribs in there at once with that rack, and have used it for countless other things as well.

A whole turkey breast is a thing of beauty when smoked in there. I usually add a bottle of homebrew to the bottom before starting the smoking - adds moistness and hey, probably some flavor too.

We have a Little Chief smoker and a big offset Brinkmann too but this little Oster gets the most use this time of year!

Saw this thread and came to post about the Oster. Glad VP beat me to it.

I am a big fan of the UDS myself.... Electric smokers seem to be the hot topic here, but just not for me.

I have gone to a ton of BBQ competitions and smoked a crap ton of meats in my lifetime and for me nothing beats a lump charcoal/oak kindling smoked piece of flesh.

I won a Big Bubba Smoker last year (thanks HBT) and when a friend of mine saw it last fall, he and I set out to build one for his use.

It cost him about $50 all together and the darn thing has a straight pipe from his old Harley junk pile as a chimney stack.

So my vote is for an UDS.

Thanks guys for the help so far. I may have to try out my charcoal grill for now. I was thinking about building something after I started acquiring some parts slowly, but I definitely like that small electric setup as well. I may have to get that next payday.

Temptd one of my smokers is a little chief I bought for my dad in the 70's.I inherited back when he died.I'll check out that sous vide rack. Bought my son a Weber rib rack that fits in perfectly but you have to cut the racks in half.Always knew a thread would show up where I could thank you .That little thing is great.

Also keep an eye on craigslist. My friend got one, don't know the brand but looks like a Weber Smokey Mountain, for $45.

I do not enjoy the hobby personally but I enjoy the tinkering. I have a built the electric coil hotplate + pie pan + clay pots smoker for a friend when he wanted to try it...all from crap we had lying around.

Temptd one of my smokers is a little chief I bought for my dad in the 70's.I inherited back when he died.I'll check out that sous vide rack. Bought my son a Weber rib rack that fits in perfectly but you have to cut the racks in half.Always knew a thread would show up where I could thank you .That little thing is great.

AAAAANNNDDD my work here is done! :D So glad you enjoy it. It's a great little alternative for times you just don't want to get the big ol' wood-fired puppy out, or the weather is ugly. We use this Oster under the porch overhang if it's not nice outside!

The Little Chief is great but the max temp on it seems to be about 150* on a WARM day. I set the Oster to 225* for most everything I smoke in there and it works great. I also use a probe thermometer, snake the cord out under the lid, and into the digital readout, and set it to alarm at the temp I want, minus about 5* or more for bigger stuff, to allow for carryover cooking. So far everything that has gone in there has come out somewhere between really good and AWESOME! I think I paid about $79 for mine and it has more than paid for itself. Being able to use the same wood chips in the Oster that I bought for the Little Chief is a big plus too!

Imma throw in another vote for the UDS. I've used mine for years. Produces some great meat with a little practice. I've competed and placed with it. It ain't pretty!

IMG_20141228_123826.jpg

I also vote UDS! I made one almost 2 years ago now and I love it, I have 2 racks in mine so I can smoke smaller stuff on the bottom and chickens and larger stuff on top.

They are super simple to make and easy to use, mine also doubles as my charcoal grill.

I purchased a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker for about $150 and I love it! I turn it on, put the meat in and don't really have to check it. I add wood chips about every hour and maybe add a bit of water.

You cant go wrong with the electric Masterbuilt.

I do not enjoy the hobby personally but I enjoy the tinkering. I have a built the electric coil hotplate + pie pan + clay pots smoker for a friend when he wanted to try it...all from crap we had lying around.

That sounds like a cool idea. I've been wanting to get an electric coil hot plate for other project so this hot plate could be used for multiple projects.

That sounds like a cool idea. I've been wanting to get an electric coil hot plate for other project so this hot plate could be used for multiple projects.

I really like the UDS idea as well. Is there a lot of cutting and welding involved? I can probably work on this project at a friends place who has a welder but I probably wouldn't have that long of a time to work on it at his place.

Just get a cheap charcoal grill.
Set up the grill with the coals on one side so you are cooking indirectly and toss some wood chips or some small pieces wood and you're good. Cant anymore simpler or cheaper.

Of course, just like mashing grain or fermenting, temp control is the key. That said, big clods of meat are much more forgiving than yeast, but this is really important.

The cheap charcoal grill will definitely work. It will take some time to dial it in, to know exactly how much charcoal you need to maintain your temps, etc. It's a lot more work than, say, the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker.

But as with anything, once you know your equipment and have it dialed in, it'll produce some great meat.

If you want a horizontal offset smoker check out the Oklahoma Joe. I have one and love it. There are two models. Same style just different sizes. I think Lowe's sells the big one and Walmart sells the small one. Yes it's cheaper but a good smoker that only needs a few mods. The company got bought by char boil but it's kept most of it's small business high quality but a big company low price. The few things that have gotten cheap on it can be fixed in a couple hours and a few bucks. Check YouTube. And we wouldn't be homebrewers if we didn't love DIY. It does come with the extra work of an offset smoker but that also means it comes with the meat flavor that only comes from a real smoker.

I really like the UDS idea as well. Is there a lot of cutting and welding involved? I can probably work on this project at a friends place who has a welder but I probably wouldn't have that long of a time to work on it at his place.

There is no welding involved.
Look for it on YouTube, that's where we found some videos.

I use my hooded gas grill for smoking, just put a stainless box full of woodchips above the flame.

Its not ideal as it has too many vents but has good temp control and if you already have a grill you are only looking at an extra $10

I bought the master built electric & I built an ugly drum. Both are great - the electric lives on my porch and is quite convenient. But I enjoy cooking on the UDS and can get a good smoke ring.....uds can be as simple or fancy as you want, just need a fire basket, a way to control air in and out, and a grill grate..

I use a standard Weber grill to smoke with. Ive added the following options:
A grate with the sides that flip up
Charcoal holders for the sides
A thermometer for the top

Also, each time I smoke I fill a disposable aluminum pan (the Weber large size fits perfect between the charcoal holders) with sand and then boiling water. It acts as a heat sink and stabilizes temperatures.

Ive smoked salmon as low as 165 deg, (2) 10 lb pork butts at the same time, or 5 full racks of ribs at the same time. Works great! At a fraction of the cost. And, I can still use it as a charcoal grill....

I had the money put aside to buy a friend's smoker, but while I waited for him to upgrade I bought the http://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-A-maze-n-Tube-Smoker-12/dp/B00CS6YFIC. I figured I could use it to supplement smoke flavor in an actual smoker eventually or even cold smoke with it. It turns out it gives all the smoke flavor I could want just throwing this in the gas grill. The middle of my grill holds steady at 200*F with the 2 outside burners set to low.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the money put aside to buy a friend's smoker, but while I waited for him to upgrade I bought the http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CS6YFIC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. I figured I could use it to supplement smoke flavor in an actual smoker eventually or even cold smoke with it. It turns out it gives all the smoke flavor I could want just throwing this in the gas grill. The middle of my grill holds steady at 200*F with the 2 outside burners set to low.

I have the 5x8 AMNPS, and they're perfect for cold smoking. Cheese, butter, hard boiled eggs, everything. I probably could have just gone with the tube, but the pellet smoker was irresistible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been wanting to get into smoking meat but the majority of my spare change goes into brewing improvements. Is there any affordable smoker ideas out there? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I bough 2 new galvanized garbage cans and put one inside the other with a hot plate from salvation army. Then put a grill rack near the top of the smaller can. Let smoke out and regulate heat by putting the lid off just a little.

Galvanized metal won't be a problem from all I have read because heat never gets that hot.

With my uds I rarely ever have to add coal. I can fill my basket and easily get a 12 hour smoke. In the rare chances I do add I just set the grill grate in my webber and dump some in. The whole process takes about two minutes.

Thanks mjbrewer. That was my only concern with the whole uds setup and me being a complete beginner some of these parts get a little confusing to me.

I have a 22 inch webber with a smokinator and love the results. I made some amazing baby back ribs this past weekend with it. Had i known about this section i would have posted them up. If you already have a webber the smokenator can be found for around $70.

I like this combo because it doesnt require me to have a smoker and a separate grill. Basically one tool for multiple jobs.

I have a 22 inch webber with a smokinator and love the results. I made some amazing baby back ribs this past weekend with it. Had i known about this section i would have posted them up. If you already have a webber the smokenator can be found for around $70.

I like this combo because it doesnt require me to have a smoker and a separate grill. Basically one tool for multiple jobs.

This, I have the same setup and it smokes perfectly for me :rockin:

Latest posts

Back