chinook hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
i'm getting ready to brew a Pacific Nortwest red ale tomorrow and got some chinook hops for bittering w/ out checking the AA's on 'em 1st. man, are they low this year or what? only 9.9%. gonna have to add more at bittering time! :D

also, anyone ever use the Wyeast Northwest Ale yeast? it's only my second time to use Wyeast, but still making a starter today.

i've not used the chinook yet this year, but i did notice the ek goldings are a little bit stronger...

i was dissapointed in the smack pack, i'll always make a starter with wyeast from now on :)

9.9% is certainly low for Chinook. I need to make a batch of C3IPA: Columbus, Chinook and Cascade.

I read that one of Wyeast's strains was Rogue's "Pacman" yeast. I wonder if that's it? I've never used it.

As for the Chinooks, just use more. I'm on a SN Celebration Ale kick. Chinooks are good for ya. :D

yea, i figured i'd go 1 oz for bittering rather than the 2/3 oz i'd planed. w/ the cascade flavoring, it get's me in the middle 40 IBU range.

that Northwest ale had a good smell to it when i added it to my starter. look'n forward to this one.

this is what wyeast's description is:
1332 Northwest Ale Yeast. One of the classic ale strains from the Northwest U.S. Breweries. Produces a malty and mildly fruity ale with good depth and complexity. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 67-71%. (65-75° F, 18-24° C)

i wanted a malty, hoppy red ale, so i figured i go with this one, rather than the chico/cali v yeast. just to try something i'd never used.

i grabbed the wrong freak'n hops! went to add my "chinook" for bittering, and low and behold! the dumb-ass (me) picked-up centennial instead!!!! no wonder they we're only 9.9 % aau. whadda dillweed (again, me)!

the Northwest Ale yeast doesn't seem to be a real wild acting strain. it doesn't produce a thick kraeusen on top, but has nice activity and aroma (refer to airlock sniffer post!).

DeRoux's Broux said:
i grabbed the wrong freak'n hops! went to add my "chinook" for bittering, and low and behold! the dumb-ass (me) picked-up centennial instead!!!! no wonder they we're only 9.9 % aau. whadda dillweed (again, me)!
It's DeFalco's fault. :mad: They should have know you meant chinook! :D

El Pistolero said:
It's DeFalco's fault. :mad: They should have know you meant chinook! :D

yea! that's what i said too :( still worked out for the style. i had made the adjustment on promash for the 9.9 aau, so it's all good! i'm still at 46 IBU's.....;)

I was given a rhizome last year of unknown variety, but I am pretty sure that it is chinook.
If chinook AA% is down this year I may just have to use more in my double IPA recipe.....Wait a second, more hops is never a problem.

no, it was me rookie. i picked up centennial by mistake. the chinooks are okay on the aau's (probably the '04 crop).

Back