whats your favorite hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccartney

Reaction score
im kinda new to brewing, ive found a love for cascade hops because of the bitterness and aroma.

but i want to know what are some favorite hops and why. i want to expand my palate

I've been brewing a lot recently with Nugget for bittering, then using Kent Goldings and Fuggles for flavour and aroma. The nugget is a good neutral bittering hop with a relatively high AA% so I don't need to use loads for a decent bittering charge. The Kent Goldings have a nice sweet, floral kinda of thing going and the Fuggles bring a more earthy, resiny note to the party.

I've been doing quite a lot of English ESBs and IPAs of recent with the occasional stout.

Galena and Magnum are both pretty good bittering hops that I've used with good results. Love Cascade, Centennial, Northern Brewer for certain IPAs, porters and stouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties

Try a batch with nugget for bittering and Citra (if you can find it) for flavoring and dry hopping. To me it gives the beer a mango flavor. Mix Citra and Cascade for dry hopping and the beer tastes like carbonated grapefruit juice.

I bought a kit from Midwest Supplies called Black Dog Ale and when I first sampled I was sorry I bought it but with time and repeated sampling its flavor grew on me to the point that I'm thinking of doing it again. It featured Mt. Hood hops.

i like some of the aroma hops that give a fruity taste, what are some of those besides citra and cascade?

Back