Quinoa beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GFgray

Reaction score
Made a test batch of quinoa beer and it turned out quite tasty if I do say so myself! I just in corked a quart of it and I'm a little pished as a result, so if I say anything a little off I'm sorry! Here's my recipie...

Quinoa beer 6/3/2012
Roasted 8 oz. quinoa at 275 for 2.5 hrs stirring every hour. Pit in paper bag to cool overnight.

Put quinoa in Stock pot with 1qt water and steeped for 2hrs with amylase and added 2 cups water when dry.
After 2 hrs added 1gal and brought to boil and added 1/3 oz hops let cool to 158 and simmer for 45 min. Bring back to boil and add 1/3 oz hops, Irish moss and yeast nutrient. Boil for 15 min. Add 1/3 oz hops at flameout. Cool and strain. Measured OG and pitched yeast.

I think I added some simple syrup as well and didn't note it about 1.5 cups

image-1863747737.jpg

I didn't like the quinoa flavor after racking it but after bottle conditioning it with honey it turned out very nice. I'll be making a full batch of this and adding some orange peel and coriander or using it for a base of an Irish Red.

Back