Bells Oberon Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I'm picking up clove from either the wheat or the yeast. It nice and easy to drink but I know Oberon has no hint of clove, so I say, busted.

After doing a couple slight variations on this clone attempt, I have to say that the Bells yeast and the hersbrucker are the keys to this beer (for me). This is likely a "finished" recipe for me that I will just keep brewing the same way since it's been received so well.

I attempted with a couple other ale yeasts and it just doesn't get there. The orange flavors I get off the hersbrucker combine with those esters and make it just magically delicious. I played with various late hopping times and these seem to work the best, nice and spicy hop forward with just enough bitterness in the finish.

Based on 11g batch size

OG 1.054, FG 1.010 29 IBU
Single Infusion @ 152F for 60m, Batch Sparge
45% Pale Malt
40% White Wheat
10% Munich 5L
5% Crystal 40L

22 IBU Nugget First Wort
~2 IBU (1 oz) Saaz 15m
~2 IBU (1 oz) Hersrbrucker 15m
~1.5 IBU (1 oz) Saaz 10m
~1.5 IBU (1 oz) Hersbrucker 10m

Bells Yeast @ 68F

This has been an awesome thread for inspiration :mug:

Cheers,
Justin

After doing a couple slight variations on this clone attempt, I have to say that the Bells yeast and the hersbrucker are the keys to this beer (for me).

I attempted with a couple other ale yeasts and it just doesn't get there. The orange flavors I get off the hersbrucker combine with those esters and make it just magically delicious.

Based on 11g batch size

OG 1.054, FG 1.010 29 IBU
Single Infusion @ 152F for 60m, Batch Sparge
45% Pale Malt
40% White Wheat
10% Munich 5L
5% Crystal 40L

22 IBU Nugget First Wort
~2 IBU (1 oz) Saaz 15m
~2 IBU (1 oz) Hersbrucker 15m
~1.5 IBU (1 oz) Saaz 10m
~1.5 IBU (1 oz) Hersbrucker 10m
1 oz per 5 gallons Hersrucker dry hop
Bells Yeast @ 68F

This has been an awesome thread for inspiration :mug:

The last 11g batch I split with Bells yeast and 3068 Hefeweizen, definitely out of style but should be interesting...

Cheers,
Justin

I gave up on the recipe that started this thread:

So I tried this back on May 2nd:
5 lbs white wheat
4 lbs 2 row
.75 Munich
.5 Caravienna
.25 Torrified wheat.
1oz herbrucker at 45
.5 Saaz at 15
.5 Saaz at 7

Just tasted it this past weekend...nice. It has that slick sweetness that I get from Oberon. Stand by for SideXSide. I'm optimistic.

So, I did this recipe with slight variations and the final result was the best version of this clone I've brewed to date:

5 lbs white wheat
4 lbs 2 row
1 lbs torrified wheat
.5 lbs Carapils

1 oz Saaz - 60
1 oz Saaz - 15
1 oz Saaz - 5

Mashed @ 155 for 60. I didn't do a decoction this time.

And I didn't add any dry hops.

I used Wyeast 1272.

I'm telling you, this is as close as I've come to the real thing! :mug:

I didn't take the time to go through all 29 pages of this thread to see if it was mentioned/reinforced, but you will never nail down Oberon without using Bell's yeast. Bell recommends cultivating it from a bottle if you try to clone Oberon. You can spend your whole life dialing in ingredients, processes and temperature, but in the end its all about the yeast.

I didn't take the time to go through all 29 pages of this thread to see if it was mentioned/reinforced, but you will never nail down Oberon without using Bell's yeast. Bell recommends cultivating it from a bottle if you try to clone Oberon. You can spend your whole life dialing in ingredients, processes and temperature, but in the end its all about the yeast.

It's been said in this thread and other threads that 1272 comes pretty close. Some have even said that 1272 is the same strain Bells uses (not for me to decide). Anyhow, I have brewed this using both Bells yeast I have harvested from Oberon and using 1272 and from my personal experience, the difference is negligible at best. And given the time and effort it takes to harvest yeast compared to just smacking a pack of 1272, I'll stick with the 1272. :mug:

It's been said in this thread and other threads that 1272 comes pretty close. Some have even said that 1272 is the same strain Bells uses (not for me to decide). Anyhow, I have brewed this using both Bells yeast I have harvested from Oberon and using 1272 and from my personal experience, the difference is negligible at best. And given the time and effort it takes to harvest yeast compared to just smacking a pack of 1272, I'll stick with the 1272. :mug:

I won't argue with that. I couldn't be bothered to harvest yeast from a bottle, especially if there is a good substitute. I just found it odd that people were obsessing over other details without locking in the yeast. I'll give the 1272 a try this Spring.

Tips for Cloning Oberon

This is from Bell's website. It's probably already been posted, but it's up on their page once again. It's still a bit vague, but at least gives most of the ingredients. Maybe enough for a good homebrewer to start with.

Since Oberon is out starting TODAY, I am going to grab a 6 of it on the way home (if the good Lord was generous enough to have it stocked at my local party store.) and start growing up some yeast from their bottles/cans. It's been a while since I harvested any yeast. My stirplate has been languishing on my credenza for a long time. Hope I can remember how to do it! ;)

Just talked to a guy at their supply shop and he said they use White Wheat in the mash. I think he said the Hersbrucker is the boil hops and the Saaz is the late hops, but now I am questioning if I remembered that backwards. Darn it. Anyway, judging by the website info, I'd say they probably use a different bittering hop altogether and just use those two mostly in late hop stages.

I plan to use one of the latest entries in this thread as a basis for starting and see what happens.

So...I've been making an Oberon clone through tweeking suggestions in this thread for about 5 years now. I make it about 4-5 times per summer season. Huge crowd favorite.
This is spot on if not better, actually better.
5 Gallon batch

6lbs Pale 2-Row
5lbs White Wheat
1/2lb Crystal 20
1/4lb Carapils
Mash 153F-152F

1oz Hallertauer 60minutes
1oz Saaz 30 minutes
1/2oz Saaz 15 minutes

After fermenting for 2 weeks at 67F
Dry Hop 1oz Cascade with 1/2oz Saaz for 4-5 days.
Yeast = Packet of US05, or WLP001 w/starter Can't really tell a difference between the two with this beer as there's so many other flavors to taste.
OG usually around 1057
Usually finishes around 1012 ish.

I'm brewing up the first batch of the season this weekend! I too usually do at least 4 or 5 batches over the summer as this is a great drinking beer on a hot summer day!

I have been brewing this recipe for several years and have been constantly tweaking it and, while I'm happy with my latest version posted above, I am again going to try something different.

I have never been able to replicate that fruitiness that you get from an Oberon. I get a little bit but not to the level you get from the real thing. Anyways, I'm going to attempt replacing the 2 Saaz aroma additions in my recipe with Citra. I brew an all Citra IPA that is just dripping with fruity flavor but that recipe calls for over 8 oz. of Citra altogether. I'm thinking of bittering with Saaz at 60, and then adding 1 oz of Citra at 10 minutes and then 1 oz of Citra at 5 minutes. And again, no dry hop.

I'll post my results in a few weeks when it is ready to drink! Worst thing that happens is it isn't as good as my previous recipe and I just go back to that! :mug:

I'm brewing up the first batch of the season this weekend! I too usually do at least 4 or 5 batches over the summer as this is a great drinking beer on a hot summer day!

I have been brewing this recipe for several years and have been constantly tweaking it and, while I'm happy with my latest version posted above, I am again going to try something different.

I have never been able to replicate that fruitiness that you get from an Oberon. I get a little bit but not to the level you get from the real thing. Anyways, I'm going to attempt replacing the 2 Saaz aroma additions in my recipe with Citra. I brew an all Citra IPA that is just dripping with fruity flavor but that recipe calls for over 8 oz. of Citra altogether. I'm thinking of bittering with Saaz at 60, and then adding 1 oz of Citra at 10 minutes and then 1 oz of Citra at 5 minutes. And again, no dry hop.

I'll post my results in a few weeks when it is ready to drink! Worst thing that happens is it isn't as good as my previous recipe and I just go back to that! :mug:

I might try this. I love Citra, and I think it would pair great with the Oberon flavors.

Got my wheat and a 6-pack of Oberon. Halfway through the 6-pack and ready to start growing some yeast!

I'd harvest the yeast for that clone. I think it's a light bittering charge with hersbrucker and late with Saaz.

I love citra and wheat! Tastes like summer!

I make a 50 pils/ 50% white wheat that's all late additions (20 or less) of citra and a 3 oz dry hop. I use wyeast American wheat. I think I'm one of the few that buys it at my LHBS. They bring it in just for me[emoji41]. I'd be happy to share the recipe. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1490912517.703800.jpg

One thing I have found to achieve the fruitiness that Oberon is, is running your yeast a little hotter. I use WY1272 interchangeably with harvested Bells yeast, and ferment both at 72F. I find that hits the spot in terms of fruitiness.

The hops are purely noble, the citrus part of the hersbrucker just melts into the high temp yeast esters to form that classic flavor.

Just my .02

One thing I have found to achieve the fruitiness that Oberon is, is running your yeast a little hotter. I use WY1272 interchangeably with harvested Bells yeast, and ferment both at 72F. I find that hits the spot in terms of fruitiness.

The hops are purely noble, the citrus part of the hersbrucker just melts into the high temp yeast esters to form that classic flavor.

Just my .02

I want to think that I remember the brewer at Bells mentioning to ferment a little warmer than usual to help get the fruitiness. That was years ago, though, so it's a bit of a distant memory.

I know they use the same yeast for most of their beers, so between the recipe and temperature, there must be something that helps bring out the fruitiness, and that makes sense.

I want to think that I remember the brewer at Bells mentioning to ferment a little warmer than usual to help get the fruitiness. That was years ago, though, so it's a bit of a distant memory.

I know they use the same yeast for most of their beers, so between the recipe and temperature, there must be something that helps bring out the fruitiness, and that makes sense.

I agree. I understand that fermenting it warmer will help bring out more fruity notes from the yeast, it's just that I don't have any way to regulate temps during fermentation. I'm happy if I can keep my ferments under 70F, which, in the winter time, I have no problem doing, but towards the end of the summer, it is a struggle.

I always worry about getting too much over 72F and then you start getting into off flavors like bananas...

I brewed 3.25 gallons of this yesterday.
I used the recipe from page 2, but taking note of the use of decoction, added a couple oz of Melanoidin to the bill.
I also harvested and did a starter with yeast from a sixer of Obie that I'll pitch when the temp has stabilized.

First of all i know this is an old post and i apologize for dragging it up again , but i had my first sixer of this beer while trying different types of wheat ales to see what i might like ( i loved it ) only problem is i live in a little town in NM and ive never seen it here before , i spent the biggest part of a day going from store to store trying to find it with no luck , might have to drive the 20 miles back to the store i got it at to see if they have more or maybe see if i can get a store to bring in a case or two for me ..
I spent last night looking at clone recipes to make this and im courious if anybody here finally got this recipe nailed down ?
I also seen a decoct was being used by some but is it really needed ?
people are saying to harvest yeast from the bottle the beer comes in but i also saw on Bells website where thier selling the house yeast they use to make Oberon , has anyone used it and did it come close to taste ?? Im really wanting this beer again and if i could get a recipe thats really good and close to the original (Oberon) id be truly grateful....

Just went back and got the last 3 six packs they had .. Lol.
First of all i know this is an old post and i apologize for dragging it up again , but i had my first sixer of this beer while trying different types of wheat ales to see what i might like ( i loved it ) only problem is i live in a little town in NM and ive never seen it here before , i spent the biggest part of a day going from store to store trying to find it with no luck , might have to drive the 20 miles back to the store i got it at to see if they have more or maybe see if i can get a store to bring in a case or two for me ..
I spent last night looking at clone recipes to make this and im courious if anybody here finally got this recipe nailed down ?
I also seen a decoct was being used by some but is it really needed ?
people are saying to harvest yeast from the bottle the beer comes in but i also saw on Bells website where thier selling the house yeast they use to make Oberon , has anyone used it and did it come close to taste ?? Im really wanting this beer again and if i could get a recipe thats really good and close to the original (Oberon) id be truly grateful....

I have not settled on a recipe yet and because here in Mich, Oberon is so available (except in winter), I 've pretty much given up on the recipe. If I were you I would study the previous posts and give one a rip (I doubt decoction is necessary). You will end up with a nice drinkable (semi) wheat beer either way. But side by side proven clones seem to be fleeting...

Bells just opened up their house yeast, plus there is a clone kit at their very own brew supply store, where you can also purchase the yeast. This might be a good place to start, or just study the ingredients, create your own recipe, and just get the yeast from them.

I orderd the extrat kit a couple days ago and i seen wheere they are offering the house yeast, i got safale us-05 but i did collect about 6 bottles worth of yeast from the Oberon bottles , infact i just put it into a starter this morning to see if it'll take off and do its thing if so im gonna try to multiply it a few times and pitch it into the extract kit when i brew it in a week or so, if it doesnt work ill pitch the US -05 that was recommended by Bell if not using the house yeast ..
Soon as i get my mash tun together and pick up a few odds & ends im gonna do an AG version as well ....
They sure are proud of their yeast , if i remember correctly it was a little over $12.00 per pack plus ice packs ......

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I had an update on the recipe I've been using for this beer.

I'd been using the recipe that Bells had from their kit on their website and was pretty happy with it. I was basically doing a 50/50 split of 2 Row and White Wheat along with the .5 lbs of Munich and Carapils and I've also been doing the exact hop additions from their recipe as well.

For my last batch of this I brewed last fall, when I ordered my ingredients, I discovered my HBS shorted me on my White Wheat to where I only had 2 lbs vs the 6 lbs I wanted. So I brewed it anyway and just upped my 2 Row addition to 10 lbs of 2 row and 2 lbs of White Wheat. Left everything else the same and to my surprise, this brought me straight back to the first time I had this beer when it was still Solsun!!! I couldn't have been more happy to have my HBS make this mistake.

So long story short, fast forward to this year I just brewed up and kegged my first batch of this for the season. I brewed it the same way with the 10:2 ratio of 2 Row and White Wheat and I'm never going back. This is the best version of this recipe I have put together IMO!!!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back