BN radio saves my ESB!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
So I was all set to brew a 10g AG batch of Fuller's ESB clone today and I just happened to download & listen to Brewing Network's interview of the head brewer of Fuller's. I learned some key things just in time!

1) They only do two hop additions in boil: bittering (60 min) and a flavor/aroma addition (3 min).

2) The bittering is 100% Target, the aroma 90% Northdown & Challenger, with only 10% EKG

3) They do dry hop.

4) 95% English Pale malt, 5% English Crystal 150L... that's it.

5) Burtonized water

I'm going to have to listen more! :rockin:

The biggest thing you can do to clone Fuller's ESB is to use wyeast 1968/wlp002 and follow the ferment temp schedule outlined in that episode. Listen to the rebrew episode as well.

KingBrianI said:
The biggest thing you can do to clone Fuller's ESB is to use wyeast 1968/wlp002 and follow the ferment temp schedule outlined in that episode. Listen to the rebrew episode as well.

I did listen to both. My 2 liter starter of 1968 is ready to decant & pitch, and my ferm fridge is set to 17 celcius. Did you raise it to 20C and then drop it back to 17 at half gravity? Or just let er rip @ 20C til finished?

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

Definitely drop the temp back down at half gravity. That keeps the yeast from cleaning the beer up too much. Just keep tasting it every day or two once it hits FG and when the diacetyl has dropped to where you want it, crash cool it.

KingBrianI said:
Definitely drop the temp back down at half gravity. That keeps the yeast from cleaning the beer up too much. Just keep tasting it every day or two once it hits FG and when the diacetyl has dropped to where you want it, crash cool it.

Brilliant! Thank you :)

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

Back