Fermentation Cooler//keeping beer cool in summer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiebrewer

Reaction score
Hey. I was wondering what inexpensive effective techniques people use to keep thier beer cool during the summer. I have to accomodate 6, 6.5 gallons buckets. I would also not like to use very much room and would also not like to deal with a lot of excess water. I have heard of using the bath tub but i live on the top floor of a small city apartment and that really isnt an option for me. I'm a poor college kid so the cheaper the better although i do not want to be doing a lot of time consuming annoying things to save a couple of bucks i would like to use inexpensive materials and so forth. Please give me advice and techniques to keep my beer fermenting in the right temperature. Thanks so much.

I'll second the hefe's and belgians. Very tasty, also you could just get a large tub of water that you place the fermenter in. The water will not heat as fast as the air and should stay cool enough during the day, then you can change water or let it cool during the night.

I bought an icecube cooler for $20 and some foam. I took the regular lid off the cooler (I didn't want to cut it, in case I needed it for a cooler!) and made a new lid out of foam for my airlock to stick out. See my gallery for pictures.

I have to accomodate 6, 6.5 gallons buckets.

If you're space is so limited, why are you using so many buckets at one time? Just wondering

Like Yooper I too invested in an Igloo Ice Cube cooler. I'll be making new lids out of polystyrene that can accommodate my bucket and carboy with airlock attached. All in all I think it will end up costing $55 bucks a cooler.

I thought about doing the son of fermentation chiller project, but I decided the cooler would be easier, and more portable.

I've heard of some people putting their fermenting in large plastic tubs, freezing water bottles, and putting a wet towel or shirt over the top. I guess you have to replace the frozen water bottles a couple times a day though.

Yooper Chick and TheJadedDog, mind taking a picture with your carboy in the cooler? Also is it a 5 or 6 gallon carboy?

Thanks

Cregar said:
Yooper Chick and TheJadedDog, mind taking a picture with your carboy in the cooler? Also is it a 5 or 6 gallon carboy?

Thanks

Sure, I'll do that right now, and stick it in my gallery. I took off the "regular" lid, so I can still use it as a wheeled cooler if I want to. I actually bought it for my MLT but the wheel well made it too difficult to fit a manifold or false bottom.

Edit- it's a 5 gallon carboy. I cut the foam to fit it perfectly. You could do the same with a larger carboy or bucket, too.

Wow.. thats alot of room. I am in the process of building a "Son of Fermentation Chiller" out of wood with the insulation, but your idea would be a great temp cooler till I get my project done.

Thanks for the pixs :)

It worked great in the winter for my "redneck lagerator". I put water in it and then threw in a couple of frozen water bottles and stuck a floating thermometer in it to monitor temps. The temperature changes are gradual, even if it would warm up because of the water in it.

I am not cramped for space but i use 6 buckets because It allows me to brew ten gallons of beer a week.

newbiebrewer said:
I am not cramped for space but i use 6 buckets because It allows me to brew ten gallons of beer a week.

Do you mind if I ask what you do with 10 gallons of beer per week?

Sure, I'll do that right now, and stick it in my gallery. I took off the "regular" lid, so I can still use it as a wheeled cooler if I want to. I actually bought it for my MLT but the wheel well made it too difficult to fit a manifold or false bottom.

Edit- it's a 5 gallon carboy. I cut the foam to fit it perfectly. You could do the same with a larger carboy or bucket, too.

This is what i was thinking. thanks. My igloo maxx can hold my 6g carboy about as tall a the shoulder of the carboy. If i expose that much surface area above the foam 'lid' do you think i can still get decent, consistent cooling? Additionally do you think it would hold heat if necessary?

In your picture, is there also a layer of styrofoam In the cooler or is it the single layer visible on top?

Back