attenuation or wild yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wide

Reaction score
I pitched 2 packs of Safale 05 into a batch of 1.072 stout almost two weeks ago. Fermentation started in under 8 hours and was vigorous. After the krauzen had fallen, I ramped fermentation temps upward from 64-66 to 66-68, and airlock activity increased noticeably. At 12 days in, the airlock seems to be finally winding down.

This is longer than airlock activity usually lasts for me. I plan to take a gravity reading in a couple of days. Does this sound good healthy attenuation, or should I be concerned about wild yeast in the wort? I'm thinking a taste of the gravity sample will make things apparent.

You have nothing to worry about. Airlocks bubbling don't mean a lot, barometric pressure or temp changes is all it takes to push them around. I have 1.5 gallons of a brown ale that I tossed some brett into about 4 months ago and haven't bothered doing anything with since and it still will occassion to bubble.

Back