Anyone know a good lemon or lime recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacaman

Reaction score
I live in south texas, and summers here get HOT! It isn't uncommon for 106F days in june-august time. I'm looking for a refreshing lemon or lime recipe, to hopefully cool me off. Austin homebrew store has a citra pale ale, and a lemongrass wheat ale? Anyone ever tried these, or have recipes of their own? Thanks!!

I have a lemon wheat (you could also use lime instead, but i think the lemon comes out better). The recipe is:

Sam Adams Summer (American Wheat or Rye Beer)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Colour (SRM): 3.6 (EBC): 7.1
Bitterness (IBU): 15.3 (Rager)

47.62% American 2-Row (4.5 lbs)
47.62% Wheat Malt (4.5 lbs)
4.76% Torrified Wheat (.44 lbs = 7 oz)

1 oz Hallertau (5.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
1 oz Saaz (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

.14 (4g) oz Crushed Grains of Paradise @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
1.4 oz Lemon Zest @ 12 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 151°F for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 68°F with US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

It is very similar to a Sam Adams Summer, but has more lemon flavor

I'm actually just wrapping up a 3 batch run of a Ginger Lime Pale Ale (brewing it for my wedding). It's an extract, but there's nothing fancy about it really.

The same recipe could probably be used without the Ginger and come out as a simple, lime-infused ale. The lime is definitely apparent on the nose, a little more subtle on the tongue.

3lb 5oz Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup (late addition - 15min)
2lb Light Dry Malt Extract
10oz Crystal 40L
10oz Wheat Malt
10oz American Two-row Pale
3oz Acidulated Malt

60 mins 0.75oz Warrior
5 mins 0.50oz Citra

5 mins 5 tsp Fresh Lime Zest

If it's lacking a strong enough limeness, you could steep lime leaves (think tea) and add that to the secondary/before bottling. Add a little at a time until it seems right for you.

I've also heard Sorachi Ace hops are very distinctly Lemony, so it might be even simpler to just make a Sorachi Ace focused ale with a touch of lemon zest thrown in.

Oh also as a note of interest, make sure you get enough lemons/limes. it takes alot of them to get that much zest!

Look like good recipes! Can I get some fermentation times? I'll make the quickest one lol

I've done a lemon balm (herb) cream ale with an 1/2oz of lemon balm at end of boil. I may be adding sorachi ace hops to this years batch, they have a nice lemon aroma.

Skeeter Pee, if you're looking for something a bit different. Lots of lemon (and lime, if you want), not a beer, though. More of a wine. It's super easy to make. Detailed recipe is available on the website (can't miss it).

Back