The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
74B9DE42-F2E8-4B77-B8D2-431EB8466B79.jpeg

@Hoppy2bmerry , your story hit a nerve; my late Dad was 2 pack a day until mid 60s and had to give it up, along with go low cholesterol and wheat free all the same year. I was in grad school on the other side of the Appalachians but the stories from home about his moods were frightful.
I hear you, it’s nearly traumatic what smoking can do to a family dynamic. From your Dad‘s perspective it must have seemed awfully unfair to make so many changes in a short period of time. Sorry you went through that.

I know, and it’s Good Friday too, to bad I dumped the last 2 bottles of scallop stout… oh wait, most beer is meatless, but hubby frowned when I wished him a happy beer day this morning and grumbled. Hot cross buns anyone?

I had to look up keto to see what it was, seems I'm almost there tonight , except for the potatoes and the beer. ;]

Still can't decide if dinner was roasted or baked, if I can keep my doubts to that I'll count myself lucky.

IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG

If this crappy rainy cold weather doesn't change fast I'm never going to be able to whack down the lawn. I swear I hear "Welcome to the Jungle" when I step into the yard now.

I managed to flay the yard yesterday morning-ish before the latest batch of rain rolled through, had all the gas powered stuff out making noise and scattering the wildlife. Spousal Unit had been lobbying for No Mow May but after No Mow April it was already looking disreputable and as I won't be able to ride the tractor for a month as of this morning's date with a surgeon it was yesterday or June...

Cheers!

Yeah, when I was growing up it was my job to mow the yard, which often conflicted with my relationships with the neighborhood kids. Even so that was just a quarter acre lot, and a third of that was treed. We're on 1-1/2 acres and aside from the house and driveway and our ~1/8th acre pond it's mostly ersatz "lawn", which is to say "cultured weeds mixed with occasional grass patches". I decided early on I wouldn't saddle my sons with that, and besides, I slap on a pair of can-style headphones and listen to my tunes and pretty much just let my brain shut down for a couple/few hours as I ride the tractor around.

When I was still working I especially welcomed the brain shut-down part. Still do though it's less a prescriptive necessity now :)

Cheers!

Sadly, lawn work is significant part of revenue for my company, so comment on this is not recreational for me. However, I have been drinking and am board,,, so;

Suffice it to say, I like my lawn semi scraggy with lots of flowering weeds, but most of my clients are not that relaxed.

The worst are the old guys who have been spent decades watching "lawn poisoning programs to impress neighbors" commercials with their sports games on TV.

Equipment I use is somewhat different, as my mowers cost $10K each, and perform accordingly. They do require weekly maintenance to preform well, which sadly again, is up to me.

My advice to anyone with small lawn and using a 21 inch push mower is to buy a good battery one next time the gasoline one goes kaput. Also, my company is now using sthill comercial battery string timmers, big improvemet over two stroke (or even the four stroke hondas) lighter, less stinky, quiet, no gas mix, or if running four stroke trimmers, no bi weekly oil change ...

Enjoy mowing your lawn this year, consider using ear protection and sharpening blade once in a while. ;]

I always use my headphones. Music much nicer than engine noise. And I have two sets of mulch blades and 3 sets of high lift bagger blades and the bench grinder to sharpen them in batches.

No intention of going electric yet - heck, I finally bought a leaf blower just last year (Stihl BR800 C-E quasi four cycle) mostly for fall cleanup. Property is too big to invest in all electric gear at consumer prices quite yet imo...

Cheers!

Tripper, hope your surgery goes well.

I admit to being a punk and paying someone to do my yard for the past few years. I have so many other things to do that I'm happy to pay to get it done. Then he up and moved. Damn. Think I found somebody new, we'll see if he shows up

Back