What is the Weirdest thing you have ever brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chocolate jalepeno ale when i first started - had quite a kick- the last bottle 6 months after brewing was quite enjoyable though.
the mountain dew brew in my primary tasted pretty good from the hydro sample - time will tell.

hey rod the only soda i drink is mountain dew... do you mind sharing the recipe for that one??

I attempted to make a Chocolate Oatmeal Milk stout for a friend, and screwed up the recipe. I ended up with a Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Brown ale. My girlfriend at the time said it tasted like a frappuccino.

It happened. I have the rest of the pictures uploaded to an album if anyone's interested.

979-a.jpg

god d*mn premium member page

Could you post the recipe for your bacon beer or your method for adding bacon??? A friend asked me to brew her a 'bacon' beer, and so far the only thing I've heard to do is 'dry hop' with very cooked bacon. Apparently the bacon flavor came through, but it also usually ended up overly smoaky from what I understand.

When I made my bacon beer I cooked the bacon down and tried to render out as much of the fat as possible, then threw it in the tail end of the boil of an amber ale that had 2# rauch malt added. Then added more at the tail end of fermentation for more flavor. Other than that, low IBUs. The rauch malt really adds bacon flavor and smokiness.

TooDeadBrew said:
Could you post the recipe for your bacon beer or your method for adding bacon??? A friend asked me to brew her a 'bacon' beer, and so far the only thing I've heard to do is 'dry hop' with very cooked bacon. Apparently the bacon flavor came through, but it also usually ended up overly smoaky from what I understand.

I'm at work and don't have the recipe handy. But it was a pretty basic stout with coffee in the mash and molasses in the boil. For the bacon I made a bacon extract. I just rendered the fat from a couple pounds of bacon then put the fat in a container with some scotch and let it sit for a few weeks (maybe a month iirc) and shook a couple times a day. Then froze it to make the fat rise to the top. Then poured the infused whiskey through a coffee filter to strain out any remaining fat then added that to the beer when I kegged it. It was quite good.

I'll be doin a corn beer from my Apache ancestors at the end of summer called Tizwin. Gotta malt the corn and everything. That's about as wierd as I'll probably get. My own version of ancient ale.

Well, theres two, the first, was when I was 12, I crushed apples into a bucket, with brown sugar, water and fleischmans bread yeast... its why I have a hard time drinking ciders.
The other was birch beer, made by tapping a birch tree for sap, and using it as the water for beer, but the recipe I used called for alot of honey, and turned out like mead, I'd make it again though, and use malt extract for some sugar and maybe some hops

yesterday i made a beer that i thinkn is weird, but may be good. who knows? who cares? this is why i like brewing.
13# pilsner
2oz of warrior at 60 min and a bunch of citra and simcoe at 30/15/5/fo
gonna do a good dryhop with chinook/smcoe and some amarillo
did a 75 min mash and GOOD 90 min boil.
was lookin for that golden color
yeast was wl 566
weird beer. what style would it be? haha

my beer club is discussing a grocery store beer today. can only brew with stuff you can buy from a normal grocery store. i am going to try and make an oatmeal coffee stout.... all batches are one gallon, and there are two awards. one for the best tasting, and the second for the taster that can drink the most :cross:

I have brewed with alot of random ingredients. It's a toss up between three I always try to keep in my pipeline.
1. Coconut rum porter
2. Smoked chili lime
3. Maple pumpkin
Today I will be brewing a lemon grass ginger ale. Next i was thinking a blueberry vanilla cream ale

Well,my New Zealand IPA will def be a little off beat. The hop flavors are totally different from the usual hop flavors found in IPA's. Lemon,lime,& tropical fruit with maybe some herbal/oak in there somewhere. Heating up the mash tun now...

Back