Partial Mash Rye Pale, do I need 2 row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzoobrew

Reaction score
I have been getting some conflicting information regarding my partial mash recipe. Will the Rye malt be able to convert itself in the mash or will I need to reduce the DME and add 2 row?

Original Recipe:

% LB OZ
63% 5 0 Extra Light Dry Extract
13% 1 0 Rye Malt
13% 1 0 Munich Malt
6% 0 8 Honey Malt
6% 0 8 Victory Malt

Possible Substitution:

% LB OZ
33% 3 0 Extra Light Dry Extract
22% 2 0 American Two-row Pale
17% 1 8 Rye Malt
17% 1 8 Munich Malt
6% 0 8 Honey Malt
6% 0 8 Victory Malt

its my understanding that base grains like Munich malt have conversion power you are looking for. i could be wrong.

Briess rye malt can self-convert and indeed has some surplus diastatic power. Like wheat, rye doesn't have a husk so lautering a mash with more than 50% of it (and no rice hulls) can be a problem, but you've got plenty of barley in that grist.

944play beat me to it!

I might add however, Weyermann Rye Malt's DP is 62, just barely enough for itself and an equal amount of grain, in which case you might want to add some 2-Row just to be on the safe side and sure all the starches are converted.

The rye, Munich and Victory can all self-convert. The honey malt can't. so plan on testing the conversion with iodine and maybe mash for more than an hour.

Back