sulphur smell from wyeast 1278 (scottish)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used wyeast 1278 (scottish ale) in my 80/- this weekend and my fermenter is kicking out some pretty foul sulphur smells.

Before someone tells me to relax... I already am. I know the sulphur will eventually go away, but I'm a little confused as to why I am getting it in the first place.

I've brewed this recipe before (using extract) and used the same yeast for it, but it never produced the sulphur during fermentation. The only real variable aside from AG vs. extract is the fermentation temp.

The first time I brewed it, I had the temp down at about 58°F. I was not able to do that this time because my fermentation fridge is currently acting as a kegerator, so I had to ferment this batch at about 70°F in my closet.

So... do you guys think that perhaps it was the temperature that made the difference in sulphur production this time?

I'll be very happy when the sulphur dies down. It smells like an elephant farted in my closet right now. :drunk:

-walker

mmmm...elephant fart ale...

It might have something to do with the temp differential, or it might just be some other minuscule variation. Maybe the yeast just felt like getting all rotten-eggy this time around. But, yeah, all other things being equal, I'd blame the temp dif. That's the typical culprit for beer weirdness.

I was just going to make the exact same post, but Im using Wyeast 3333.

Straight sulphur smell coming out the airlock, and being the chronic airlock sniffer that i am, Im finding this rather unpleasant.

Chimone said:
I was just going to make the exact same post, but Im using Wyeast 3333.

3333 is german hefeweizen yeast, isn't it?

Sulphur is common for HWs, lagers, and california commons. Not so common for ales.

That's a pretty large difference in temperature, I'd contribute the smell to that.

Did you remember to add your sulphloc to the boil? You might get some strange smells if you didn't.

Walker-san said:
3333 is german hefeweizen yeast, isn't it?

Sulphur is common for HWs, lagers, and california commons. Not so common for ales.

Yes it is. And yes you're right, elephant farts are a good way to describe the smell.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Did you remember to add your sulphloc to the boil? You might get some strange smells if you didn't.
No, I didn't add it. Where can I get some?

Will it be next to the snake oil on the shelf at the LHBS?

-walker

Walker, I'm doing a 70/- right now and on day 4 of fermentation at 60 deg. it started smelling like fart, so you're not alone.

1728 is the main yeast I use and I've never had anything resembling a sulfur smell from the fermenter... but I've also never fermented that high. I'd say the temp is the prime candidate.

Edit: It just dawned on me that maybe it's just fart perception. Maybe your farts smell like Scottish ale. If that's the case, you're both lucky men...

Nate said:
Edit: It just dawned on me that maybe it's just fart perception. Maybe your farts smell like Scottish ale. If that's the case, you're both lucky men...

Excellent point.

Back