Homebrew bill passes Oklahoma State House

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C'mon guys. You spend what? A couple hundred (if not thousand for some people here) dollars / year on homebrewing? You can't affort to buy a now free license (which could become something like 50-100$ later)? In fact, you have to realize the progress that has been made. From illegal to legal if you take the free license... or a 35-100$ license in some years... Some progress has been made!

I think I would personaly make that effort -- to keep my peace of mind. Then again, I'm not in Oklahoma.

Thats not the point.

I hear we are finally legal... in May??? Why didn't I hear about this? There is no way I am getting a free permit so they can take a count of us and charge us even more. I'm surprised they don't make us pay to bake our own bread here! By the way Gila, I'm one street north off Memorial but I have an Edmond address.

I was born and raised in OK. I will never move back because of crap like this.

I support everyone of you who will not be getting the licence.

A homebrewer obtaining a permit can have only one outcome, be it sooner (so to speak) or later. Given the present climate of government at every level looking for sources of additional revenue, you will be taxed. Count on it. If I lived in OK, you could count me among the homebrewers who won't be obtaining a "permit."

Meh. I got the permit. Only part that sucked is they require a notary. I don't recall ever having to get that for the Wine/Cider license but, meh, I work with several notaries so....

Took nearly 3 weeks for the actual license to arrive.

I will not go and get this permit..once they see how many of us are out there,they will start thinking about how much revenue they are missing out on. under the radar has worked so far. and if the permit is free,how much trouble could I really be in? no I dont want to find out.

Yeah. No harm in not getting it. The only real reason to have it is it is required for entry to State Fair contests. At least, is was for wine.

I'm considering getting one. I don't tend to subscribe to the same government paranoia that many others do. Not that they couldn't eventually tax me, but I think they'd have zero ability/manpower to enforce that tax. How would they even prove how much I've been brewing?
Anyway, I'm thinking about it.

That is just it. They can't unless they require periodic audits. And they won't.

They'd likely just require a fee for the license once they've tallied the numbers or it would prompt higher taxation on materials. the ABLE commission does not have enough resources to police homebrew. they have enough on their hands just with legal trade for commercial establishements. And they are understaffed for that.

Huh......out here in Oregon, we get permits to grow weed. You guys have a lot of catching up to do.

Huh......out here in Oregon, we get permits to grow weed. You guys have a lot of catching up to do.

I heard about that on NPR (radio) and I was wondering on how these growers keep their crops from being stolen? My image of a pot grower for legal sale like medicinal purposes with a license would need to have a secure growing location such as a building or something looking like a prison with guards. They did mention high utility bills so I assume they are growing indoors under artificial lighting.

Yeah, almost entirely indoors due to the growing season here. Over in the valley they can get away with outdoor gardens.

And the fear was the same that I see some in here have over the permit. That they will now have a record of growers. Well, good luck doing anything about that. When you consider every block in town has an average of 5 growing operations, it is well beyond the point of being out of hand for law enforcement to do anything about if the laws were changed.

I love Liberal states. Try doing this in the Bible belt.

Man...Fu_K the government and the politicians!! I said it. A revolution in this country is waaayyy overdue.

Man...Fu_K the government and the politicians!! I said it. A revolution in this country is waaayyy overdue.

Or you could simply move to a Liberal State like Oregon, Washington or Vermont.

It's those Red States and the way they want you to live YOUR life that you have to worry about.

It's those Red States and the way they want you to live YOUR life that you have to worry about.

You could even try Texas - the one red state that sometimes actually feels like a small-government state, at least to me when I grew up there. But of course, in San Francisco there are real speakeasies and under-the-table brewpubs, which is pretty fun too...

Edmond guys: 2nd St between Kelley and Santa Fe here.

:off: OKC guys, are there any brew clubs or get togethers in town? I'm relatively new to the area and think it'd be cool to hang out with some other people that share the passion. None of my friends in town are really drinkers at all so its...frustrating, to say the least.

I'm going to try very hard to not say something I shouldn't here.
Our Governor said it best on an interview discussing legalization,

"Jesus didn't drink beer"

Uggg.

The Founding Fathers did.

It's things like this that make me happy about living in the Pacific Northwest. The craft beer section at the grocery store across the street is comparable to a specialty store. Right now I'm drinking a Paulaner Salvator, and a Bitburger that I bought with my milk and eggs.:rockin: Who cares if it rains 300 days a year!!

:off: OKC guys, are there any brew clubs or get togethers in town? I'm relatively new to the area and think it'd be cool to hang out with some other people that share the passion. None of my friends in town are really drinkers at all so its...frustrating, to say the least.

High Plains Draughters and, I forget the other one. It's relatively new. I think it's put together by Chris over at Learn To Brew.

I'm going to try very hard to not say something I shouldn't here.

The Founding Fathers did.

Where do you live? What does your state BAN you from doing?

I can brew beer, grow weed and kill myself legally here. What does your state ALLOW you to do?

Ladies and gentlemen.......The late George Carlin

" Personally, when it comes to rights, I think one of two things is true: I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights - I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please. But, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer ****ing deal than that? So the next time some ******* says to you, "I have a right to my opinion," you say, "Oh yeah? Well, I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion." Then shoot the **** and walk away!"

You could even try Texas - the one red state that sometimes actually feels like a small-government state, at least to me when I grew up there. But of course, in San Francisco there are real speakeasies and under-the-table brewpubs, which is pretty fun too...
I
t is easier to brew in Texas, but in Texas it is illegal to purchase a umm.. toy your wife might like. The government there is great for comedy about religion. Check out this video of the legislature.

I lived there for 14 years, I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus, can you legally jack off in Texas?

:off: I know I started it. Surprisingly there are local jurisdictions where it is not legal, like Clinton, OK. Those laws tend to be archaic and on the books because nobody wants to discuss it on public record in the legislature. That's were Texas jumps to the front.

Where do you live? What does your state BAN you from doing?

I can brew beer, grow weed and kill myself legally here. What does your state ALLOW you to do?

I'm free to not pay taxes out the nose, while at the same time live with the threat of my state going bankrupt because they spend money at an insane pace.

Who cares about being able to grow weed? Anyway, it's banned on a federal level; which means the DEA can take you at any moment since federal law trumps state law in these manners.

No, I don't think it should be illegal on a federal level, but that's more along my belief that the feds should just stay out of our lives. They have far, far too much power. They should provide an army, defend us from foreign threats, secure our borders, maintain interstate roads, be prepared to respond to major disasters, and that is about IT.

I'm free to not pay taxes out the nose, while at the same time live with the threat of my state going bankrupt because they spend money at an insane pace.

Who cares about being able to grow weed? Anyway, it's banned on a federal level; which means the DEA can take you at any moment since federal law trumps state law in these manners.

No, I don't think it should be illegal on a federal level, but that's more along my belief that the feds should just stay out of our lives. They have far, far too much power. They should provide an army, defend us from foreign threats, secure our borders, maintain interstate roads, be prepared to respond to major disasters, and that is about IT.

You know, if you are going to quote my questions, you should really address them.

Are you too ashamed?

No, he drank WINE! :rockin::mug:

Some law in some states are very strange.

By the way, it is legal to brew in Utah?

Actually, I've seen or read where experts believe that in many places where wine was mentioned in the bible, it was changed to wine by the Romans, because they lived in wine-growing regions and it was the drink of the higher class.

Experts believe that "strong drink" or any such reference was most likely to be a beer-like drink that was common to biblical locations of that era. They just didn't have good soil for growing grapes, but "beer" was readily available.

Essentially they were making the bible a bit easier for most people in their empire to relate to.

What about schools? You don't think the government should be working to provide education to the populate?

Back