Tinfoil instead of airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jajabee

Reaction score
I figured I'd give the ol' Apfelwine a try this week, seeing as it's such a simple thing. Trying to keep it as easy as possible, I just bought a glass gallon jug of juice at the store, poured in the yeast, and put some tinfoil on the top. The first 24 hours it was in the mid-50's in the garage, so I moved it inside to the mid-60s. It's been there for 3 days, bubbling away happily. But now I'm thinking, hmm, is that tinfoil a good idea? I'd heard people saying around here that they don't bother with airlocks, just use tinfoil, so I figured I'd try it... but now someone's telling me I'll only get vinegar this way. What do you think?

Unless acetobacter have somehow learned how to pierce tinfoil (which they hadn't yet, as of last weeks acetobacter weapons summit) you're not going to end up with vinegar. I have frequently used tinfoil in my primaries, and have yet to get an infection of off flavor from wild yeast or bacteria.

I think you should let your friend sample the finished product just to rub it in. :D

Not sure where you live, but if you use tinfoil watch out for fruit flies. I know from experience. I came home one day to a few in the carboy. They managed to crawl up under the foil. A couple days later I had a nice little infection going. Luckily I was able to rack it quick enough and carb it to stop the infection from getting worse.

There is much reading on the BENEFITS of not using an airlock. Especially in the first 72 hours yeast NEED oxygen and CO2 is actually a poison (thats why they poop it out) Not to get crazy technical but yeast need oxygen at the beginning of their cycle in order to begin eating sugar and making fun juice. You can do a search as their is LOTS of posts on this topic with most concluding that at minimum the first 72 hrs there is no need for one.

Tin foil will do just fine as spores and bacteria just float downwards.

Just dip a piece in StarSAN and you are good to go.

I'm rocking tin foil for the first time one some some cider and a Rye Ale. I put an airlock on the beer after kraussen settled back down do to co2 not as actively pushing up. But I mostly just get freaked out without seeing an airlock on there. But the beer seems to be fine.

Covered fermenting is fine so long as plenty of co2 is being produced but if O2 gets in it only takes a couple of days to go off, and you need a pretty good seal to keep it out. I often leave the airlock off for the first couple of days, and when making red wine you have to get in and plunge the skins a few times a day, which is good fun.

No fruit flies around here yet, and it's in a closed off cupboard... so the general consensus is that I'm doing fine with the tinfoil for these first 3-4 days, but maybe tomorrow I should mosey on down to the LHBS and pick up some airlocks?

It certainly can't hurt to put an airlock on it. Some people go without airlocks and only use tinfoil, which will work. In my area I get fruitflies every year, so airlocks all the way for me.

Since a bung & an airlock cost me about $2 and my juice/fruit/honey/etc... costs considerably more, I'm not going to risk it by using tin foil. Regards, GF.

Since a bung & an airlock cost me about $2 and my juice/fruit/honey/etc... costs considerably more, I'm not going to risk it by using tin foil. Regards, GF.

Besides fruit flies, what risk exactly are you talking about? By this same logic, I would be more than happy to sell you alien abduction insurance. Sure, the odds of you being abducted by aliens are slim, but for only $10, can you really afford to not be covered?

Besides fruit flies, what risk exactly are you talking about? By this same logic, I would be more than happy to sell you alien abduction insurance. Sure, the odds of you being abducted by aliens are slim, but for only $10, can you really afford to not be covered?

Hey, you want to use tin foil, go ahead, knock yourself out. I'm not going to.

I'd be interested in some of that. My grandpappy's been abducted 3 times!

In the lab I used to work in we used sterilized Reynold's Wrap to seal off our giant culture flasks, which is more or less what a carboy is.

I like airlocks though, since the give me the satisfaction of watching them bubble.

In my great collection of experience, I must point out that
a) most of the "tin" foil on the market today is actually aluminum foil,
b) most of what "tin" foil replaced, way back when, was pb (lead) foil,
c) the proper use of aluminum foil is for
i) head-gear
ii) boxers, briefs, or thongs,
iii) emergency retainers, and
iv) DIY popcorn containers when microwaving popcorn
v) oh, and fairy wands. Just be careful when casting spells in lightning storms.

Now, Saranwrap! There's a tool!

My mind is cast back to "the days before" when all we HAD were lead-glazed crocks and muslin cloth, swollen wood barrels and corks, if we could get 'em.

If it's a nice, solid glass jug, go ahead and try the foil...it's an experiment. Sometimes, I wash out the pots, pans, and plates that I use. ;-)

Back