GPM with a drip system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndoe22

Reaction score
Edit: I ment GPH
I just ordered my rhizomes from thyme gerden, CASCADE , FUGGLE, PERLE , STERLING and WILLAMETTE. This will be my first year growing hops. I am planning on watering with an automatic drip system. My question is what gallon per minuet setting is good for hops. I live in Sacramento, CA and they will be planted in a area that has full sun all day.

I would play with it and see what works best for you. You dont want your hops to get overly wet, but you dont want them to dry out either.

Drip systems are usually GPH not GPM.

The question is not what drippers to use but how much water will they require. If it only your Hops on the line and you have an automatic valve I would set up your system with a couple small (say 1 GPH) drippers per plant and then adjust your watering time to get the proper moisture level. This will vary based on the season and rain received.

If you are on a line with other plants then hops will use water like a small tree or large shrub, considerably more than small shrubs and perennials. The root system is extensive and the plant growth is aggressive.

Either way the soil surface should dry out fairly quickly after watering but the soil a couple inches deep should remain moist until the next watering.

Craig

i had drip on my plants last year.
i had 1/2 gph drippers on 3hrs every two or three days. in retrospect, it wasn't nearly enough.

i have since moved and transplanted two plants, which have shoots 2-12 inches long. right now (plants are still very small), i'm manually watering 1 gallon per day. i've just been checking how moist the soil is by sticking my finger in the ground and i can tell they really need it. these plants have large root systems when established. i'm guessing i'll be around 5 gallons per day in the heat of summer...

by the way, i'm in winters...next to davis.

As far as I've been able to find out, most hop yards use 1gph emitters and 20-30" of water during the season.

Back