Wiring questions for right angle drill + grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuckeredPenguin

Reaction score
I have searched multiple times looking for info on my particular situation and either I have over looked the correct answer, haven't found one that addresses my issue, or I just havent connected the right dots:cross: At any rate here is:

Project: Motorize my grain mill.
Power source: HF Right Angle 2 speed drill (yes I know cheep, but it will work)
Controls: 4x4 Elect Junction Box w/cover, SPST Master Power Switch, DTDP 20A toggle switch (for directional control) and wires.

Here is the problem I have run into, the motor has 4 wires going into it 2 red and 2 white: The smaller white and red wires go to the carbon brushes at one end and the larger white and red wires go to the windings.

So what I had gathered from other posts on here and from my basic elec knowledge, is that the way the motor was reversed was to switch the direction of current flow through the wires going to the windings by wiring the DPDT switch: See picture.

My plan was to just marry up the whites and reds, connect them to one side of the DPDT switch, have Power in connected to the middle terminals, and crossed jumpers ( connected to the first terminals) to the other switch terminals. But before I tried this something just didn't seem right, so here I am looking for some scolding, possibly a little help :) and advice.

Thanks in advance

Nick:mug:

So I get it if I only had two wires coming out of the motor but I have 4:( So any of you EE's out there or fellow DIY-ER'S who have a solution or could at east point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I have also included some pics of the motor in it's current state. Once I get it all dialed in I will post some completed shots:)

DPDT switch diagram.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

So after getting frustrated and working on other more pressing projects:) I cam back to find a simple answer to my issue:
The drill has a reverse switch, why not take a look to see how that's wired to the motor?

Cheers!

And wouldn't you know, I found a tiny little schematic etched into the back of the trigger/switch. I could barely make it out so I drew a lager one on paper (see image below) and after a few swapping of the wires and making some connection adjustments, BINGO!!!! It works as advertised!! Thanks Day Tripper!!! :mug:

Other than my ego being damaged, the drill survived its re-purposing and will live a long and happy life running my mill.

I will post some finished pics when it's complete.

Thanks again Tripper!!

IMG_2022.jpg

Back