What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 2 kegs go on me over the weekend so I cleaned, sanitized, and pressurized them.

Other than that I fought the temptation to try my first batch of the centennial blonde. It has only been on 10# of co2 for 24 hours... I need this week to go quickly!

My wife's best friend is pregnant and due any day now. What I did for beer today was wish her friend would have that baby, so she'd go to mpls and I could get some brewing done. Hahaha. It's been a busy few weeks around here. Between work and other summer household jobs to do, I just haven't had time!

Sunday into yesterday I de-labeled, cleaned, and washed 7 cases of bottles.

Pretty happy about that job being over with.

Dropped off a trade at the UPS store. Then on an impulse I bought an instant lottery ticket and came out $40 ahead. That will cover the shipping on the next two trades going out this week! :ban:

Dropped off another trade today and picked up some beer from Sly Fox to fill a couple more trades going out on Friday. Been a busy week for trading! :D

I've got find something good down here to get you hooked on so I can keep the Tired Hands monkey of my back. Looks like they tapped some really interesting stuff this week.

Yep, they sure did. And nice to hear they are doing a Berliner Weisse soon! :mug:

My wife started looking at online property in South Philly when we were leaving. Don't think we're ready to give up being country mice, but we sure did like Philly.

My wife started looking at online property in South Philly when we were leaving. Don't think we're ready to give up being country mice, but we sure did like Philly.

Well, you could go to western Chester county and find a fine home for country mice. And have easy access to the train into the city. Oh, and that would be the train that goes through Ardmore! ;)

I battled foaming issues with my Sprecher root beer. Hooked up 30 feet of 3/16 line for 30 psi, chilled it down and ran a glass through - all foam. FInally realized there's a temp differential between the bottom of the fridge and the top, where the lines are, so I tucked the lines down in front of the compressor bump, and I think that has solved the problem. But what a pain in the butt in the meantime.

Had to sanitize the nasty smelling large mixer bowl overnight. so I have to make my spent grain pretzel buns this morning. They get boiled like bagels in water & beer with a lil baking soda. Should be better fresh made I guess.

Johnson controller for the ferm chamber (right now), built a hang on kettle water filter and bit the bullet and ordered up a 4 tap system. Ferm chamber will get one good go and then converted into a kegerator. At least I got several cases of bottles cleaned and ready for back up and sours :p

widfhb.jpg

Over the course of my vacation: sampled some homebrew from my father-in-law, toured his retired neighbor's winery and sampled some of his product, toured Chuckanut Brewery and of course sampled their fine beverages. Now I'm enjoying an Alaskan Summer Ale on my return flight home, and working up the recipes for my next several upcoming brew sessions.

I scrubbed a bunch of empties late yesterday & put away some new stuff. Got a bunch of SA bottles still with labels to rinse/dry & store away till needed as replacements for beers going out. Got a bunch of airlocks soaking to scrub,rinse & dry. Glad I bought 3 more airlocks,less hurrying to replace a dirty one.

Today? Today I brew. 10 gal of Northern English Brown coming right up. As soon as I find something to light my burner

Just received word that I should expect a few samples from a new Midwest yeast company in the mail next week! Then instructed my wife (who is in mpls for a week) to stop by nb and grab me a kit to test said yeast samples.

I'm going to Get back from work late tonight and going to rack my super pale ale, and wash some bottles.

Finished up Kegerator; kegged my Dunklewiezen then found out how bacon cheeseburgers are made :)

I love the look on the cow's face "WOOAAA! HEELLO!WTF?"! The truth is out there! :ban:
I'm finishing up boxing dried empties,cleaning more. A couple rounds to go yet. Ice cream buckets are great for carting bottles back & forth to clean or hang on the bottle tree. They hold 7 at a time. Got some airlocks to scrub & dry yet. hybrid lagers just about gone,so refilling those case boxes with empties for the Berlin Wheat that should be ready to bottle. Gotta test it in a lil while. Get to try out my new hydrometer tube base from NB I got for $1.60. It fits the tube the hydrometer comes in that I & many others test in. I hope the two fritoe's dip jars I saved/have left will be enough to put the washed yeast in. Don't have rings & seals for the quilted pint jars yet. I'm still trying to get the garlic kosher dill smell out of the 1/2 gallon vlasic jar I'm going to wash the yeast in I've been saving. Or maybe it's the PBW soakin up the smell? Nice lookin jar with the molded in logo,scrollwork,etc. Kinda like fancy canning jars.

winvarin said:
Today? Today I brew. 10 gal of Northern English Brown coming right up. As soon as I find something to light my burner

Yeast pitched and everything cleaned up like it never happen. Dinner and a home brew to celebrate

Tragedy strikes! I was emptying trub from my conical, didn't get the blow off tube disconnected. Big sad face! Sucked up a bunch of star San water into my beer. Dang it, dang it, dang it! Emptied my AK47 mild ale and start over.

Vinnyb722 said:
Tragedy strikes! I was emptying trub from my conical, didn't get the blow off tube disconnected. Big sad face! Sucked up a bunch of star San water into my beer. Dang it, dang it, dang it! Emptied my AK47 mild ale and start over.

How much is "a bunch"? I once sucked what I estimated to be at least 10 ounces I star San into 5 gal of a blonde ale. I served it at a tailgate party and blew the keg before kick off.

Being the conscientious friend I am, I spot checked on a few of my friends the next day. No reports of illness. Only requests for more beer the next time we all got together.

Granted, the beer did not blow off, so it was 100% star San mix.

About 700 ml. I tasted the beer and it didn't taste good. This was my 1st all grain and I didn't vourlouf, that may have been the off flavor. I went ahead and started over. I think I will go get grain alcohol and use it in my blow off bottle? What a rookie mistake! After I poured it out I did think that it is a no rinse concoction, fermentation is, for the most part over, what would it hurt. So now I am regretting pouring it out. I think I read somewhere on here, never pour out! May not be as good as I wanted, but I wouldn't have an empty keg. Hahaha

Checked on my triple decocted Dunkelweizen which is happily fermenting. Also, shared my hoppy wheat, smoked IPA, and double IPA with family for a backyard BBQ.

Bottled 5 gallons of Big Fuzzys Double Chocolate Coffee Stout.

Checked FG of Da Yooper House Pale Ale, looking good at 1.010.

Dropped a 5 gallon keg of Stones Vertical Epic 09-09-09 clone into the keezer.

It's been a good day for beer around here. Thank You everyone on HBT for making me a better brewer.:mug:

Worked up a starter (last night) of 1098 that was harvested from a previous batch, and just now finished brewing an Irish red ale. Used my Thrumometer I picked up on vacation for the first time. Worked like a charm. Time to do a few chores around the house before firing up the grill for BBQ chicken tonight!

I tasted my wheat beer:

3:1:1 Wheat:Gambrinus ESB:Maris Otter
Wyeast 3333
1oz. Chinook - bitter (60m)
1/3 Citra (30)
1/3 Citra (15)
1/3 Citra (10)

I think I overdid the Chinook a bit, but it's not so bad, really. I like bitter, and if you let it warm up, it mellows a bit. Two more weeks in conditioning, and I'll have a really nice beer. Next time, I'll use properly-filtered water, ferment at 55-degree temps, and do a five-gallon batch, to accommodate the hop load. Maybe double my yeast pitch.

Put away some bottles I had srubbed & dried. Made labels after fixing the printer to pack yooper a couple Maori IPA's for her & her hubby. I needed a drink after cursing at the darn printer for a couple hours.

About 700 ml. I tasted the beer and it didn't taste good. This was my 1st all grain and I didn't vourlouf, that may have been the off flavor. I went ahead and started over. I think I will go get grain alcohol and use it in my blow off bottle? What a rookie mistake! After I poured it out I did think that it is a no rinse concoction, fermentation is, for the most part over, what would it hurt. So now I am regretting pouring it out. I think I read somewhere on here, never pour out! May not be as good as I wanted, but I wouldn't have an empty keg. Hahaha
Huh. I honestly don't see the need to use anything other then water in an airlock or blowoff bottle, unless you are having issues with fruit flies. Those little bastidges will crawl in an airlock with water in it, but not one with distilled alcohol. Good luck with your new batch.

What did I do for beer today? Well, I drank more then a 750ml bottle of wine in 40 minutes. Does that count?

Went to Costco today, and picked up a case and a half of Stone's RuinTen. Ridiculously low price, for such a good beer.

Dumped grout in my beer, does that count? Was on batch 1 of 3, gravity was a bit low so I ran into to get some extract. Oh good I must have taken it out already cause its on the dining room table. Turns out my wife decided to put the left over sand colored grout in a big zip lock bag on the table. I was so looking forward to brewing today too after redoing our bathroom after work for the last week or so. As soon as I dumped it the smell hit me and I realized what I had done.

Got stuck in San Francisco due to airplane crash. Won't be able to brew today but helping my bro with bottling his first beer instead.

Back