wyeast wlp 008 and 013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I'm going to be washing and saving some 008 and 013. I used these in a holiday ale and a chocolate raspberry stout. I have never washed and saved yeast before but I am starting now to save money on good yeast and I want to build up a nice supply. I'm doing an IPA soon and I may try one of these instead of the us05 I usually use. Has anyone used either of these in and american style IPA?

At the recommendation of a fellow brewer (and a provided sample) I made an IPA with 008. It came out OK. I should have added some Munich or more Crystal since the beer came out a little thin with very little flavor from the yeast.

I preferred my usual Alt yeast (036) version, but 008 made a fine brew.

Looking at my brew record, the recipe was:

92% 2-Row
5 % C20
3 % C60
25 IBU Simcoe (90)
25 IBU Chinook (90)
10 IBU Simcoe (5)
10 IBU Chinook (5)
5 IBU Cascade (5)
1/2 oz Simcoe/Chinook/Cascase (DH)
WLP008

Mash at 155 for 60 min. 90 min boil

HTH

From the descriptions I thought the 013 might work well for an IPA but I was hoping to hear from someone who actually used it. I like the IPA I make with the US05 but I'm curious how the others would work.

Latest posts

Back