Calling all IPA lovers...what are your favorite 3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I have had a few now, recent hop addict here :)

Pliny
Hop Ottin
Blind Pig
Lagunitas is good for a low gravity IPA too

I wish I could get Grants but not anymore, I find it is strange how it is mentioned as one of the defining beers for the category in "designing great beers" and specifically mentions that it is below what the gravity should be.

so I had to opportunity to have a DFH 120 last night. I friend from back east came into to town to visit and brought two bottles of it. we had them last night and........ disgusting. I've never experienced "cloyingly sweet" until last night. I sipped on it for well over an hour and tried, really honestly tried, to like it or at the very least appreciate it. but I just couldn't; it was a chore to just finish my glass.

+1 or should I say -1 to the DFH 120. I love the 60, love the 90 but whats goin on with the 120? Definately not the hoppiness I was expecting and yes, way too sweet. I have never had a DFH brew that I didnt LOVE until this.

Ninkasi total domination IPA
Stone IPA
Bell's 2 hearted ale

Problem is I can't get any of them in the state I live in :(

Just had a bottle of Sierra Nevada Wet Hop Harvest Ale and it definitely cracks the top 3.
Others:
Victory Hop Devil
Sixpoint Bengali Tiger
Harpoon IPA

For Imperial/Double/other IPA variations, I'm a big fan of Dogfish Head's 90 and 120. Loved Green Flash's Le Freak (Tripel IPA). Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA.

That said, I have a bottle of Weyerbacher Simcoe Double IPA chilling in the fridge right now.... maybe that will change this list a bit, we'll see.

In no particular order (and no IIPAs):

Bear Republic Racer 5: My "fall-back" beer at beer bars in SD, one sip later and I would be thinking "why don't I drink this ALL THE TIME".
Ska's Modus Hoperandi: Best IPA in Colorado IMO, surprised I didn't see this one already mentioned.
Mountain Sun's FYIPA: I saw someone mention it. Nothing makes me happier than taking a growler of the stuff home.

Yep, the Weyerbacher Simcoe Double IPA was excellent. Can't believe I hadn't tried it before.

After about 4 different west coast beer fests, and visiting too many breweries, limiting tasting to only IPAs, I still can't pick favorites. But here are 3 (IMHO) good ones:

Ballast Point Big Eye(I think) IPA
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Russian River Pliny the Elder(or anything they make)

But I live in Hicksville, so among what's distributed here might be Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA and Alaskan IPA.

I'd probably just add an extra 2 lbs of r-row and then dry hop it and maybe add .5oz as a FWH.

Edit: sorry, posted in the wrong thread. Meant to post in a change to Edwort Haus Pale Ale thread.

My favorite 3 so far are probably:
3 Floyd's Dreadnaught
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (yeah, I know- barely an IPA)
and mayyybe Dogfish head 90 minute or Bell's Hopslam

Man, I need to get moving on my IPA's.

Stone Ruination IPA
Rogue Yellow Snow IPA
Rogue Brutal IPA

I love anything by Rogue or Stone, can't really go wrong with those guys.

Dogfish Head 60 min IPA
Great Divide IPA
Stone IPA
Laguintas Hop Stoopid Ale
Flying Dog IPA
Sierra Nevada IPA

I'm not a huge fan of IPA, but Sierra Nevada Torpedo is pretty good (not usually an overwhelming fan of SN either).

Just 3???

OK

Stone Subliminally Self Righetous <sp>
Breckenridge 471
Flying Dog Double Dog

Honorable mention
Smuttynose IPA
Avery Cask Conditioned
Dales Pale Ale

1. Russian River -Blind Pig
2. Great Divide - Titan IPA
3. Dogfish Head - Half 60min. with Half 90min.

there are soooo many!

OK. In the last 2 weeks?
1) Port Hop15
2) Boulevard Double Wide
3) Hair of the Dog Blue Dot

Next week will be different.

A couple of days ago I tried some pale ales and ipa's from a Saranac
sampler, they all had the same basic taste and that tart, thin-bodied
quality that you get from American ale yeast. So the next day I try
a couple from a Magic Hat sampler and of them tasted just like
the Saranac ales but one other was excellent, I could tell right away
it was made with a British ale yeast because of the body and the
absence of tartness. It's called Lucky Kat.

1. Harpoon IPA
2. Lucky Kat (Magic Hat)
3. Ipswich IPA (Ipswich Brewing Co.)

Ray

Back