Can You Start Hops Late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GearBeer

Reaction score
I missed the planting window this year and was going to leave it till next year but I was chatting with my coworker today (a fellow homebrewer) and we started wondering what the harm would be in planting rhysomes late. I understand they don't yield much the first year anyway, wouldn't planting them now help them get more established for next year?

I'd go ahead and get them in the ground asap. You're right, the first year is mainly for establishment...so if nothing else, you'll be getting a head start on next year. I won't tell you that you'll have a bumper crop come next summer, but they'll certainly be better off than if you planted them next spring.

What they said. You won't get much this year even if you'd gotten them in on time. Get them established now so next year you might get something.

I would think planting them now would give them a great head start, the only issue you will have is finding a source for them this late in the season.

Yeah - what everyone else has already said. Plant 'em now and they'll have better root stock this time next year. There's still plenty of growing time left this year.

...the only issue you will have is finding a source for them this late in the season.
Spot on. There are some Willamette and Centennial for sale on ePay but the usual suspects are "sold out until 2009."
The Centennial is for 10 rhizomes :eek: and the Willamette is for 2. Anyone need some Centennial rhizomes?

I've never actually used either type but I'll find a way :mug:

Back