Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's likely the problem - you underpitched.

It doesn't take much to get started - you don't need a stir plate and flask; you can get started with a simple sanitized glass jar of some sort. Prep the starter with some DME, add it to the sanitized jar with your yeast, cover the top with some sanitized foil, and give it a swirl every now and then over a couple of days.

So if I want to make a starter, can I use regular table suger instead of DME. I don't really have any DME laying around. All the DME I had, got brewed so I would need a substitute.

I have mason jars that I can sanitize and use for a starter, but since I don't have any DME, could I use a cup of sugar and a little yeast nutrient? If I can do that, any recommendations on the amounts of sugar and nutrient?

You could use plain table sugar and the yeast will indeed multiply. The risk you run is that you're developing yeast that have been bred to feast on simple sugars, and they may underattenuate when pitched into an environment of the more complex malt-based sugars, and the resulting beer will be unintentionally sweet. If you can get your hands on some, I'd recommend using DME as it will produce yeast better suited to fermenting wort.

was just curious why a majority of experts including John Palmer, northern brewer just to name a few , say to rehydrate in 95-105 degree water , but when pitching dry not to let the wort be over 80. don't want to get into debate over which is best . i realize fermenting temp is favorable between 60-70 for the ales I'm making but was just wondering

Similar question likely as others, but didn't see it specifically. My very very first solo brew - after about 8 hours, had good bubbles for about 2 days, then absolutely nothing. What happened, and what should I do?

Similar question likely as others, but didn't see it specifically. My very very first solo brew - after about 8 hours, had good bubbles for about 2 days, then absolutely nothing. What happened, and what should I do?

Sounds like you finished primary fermentation. I'd let it go 7-10days then check your final gravity. Congrats you made beer.

Isn't it supposed to take like 2 weeks instead of two days? It is only a single gallon batch of that makes any difference. Thanks for the feedback by the way! !

Your active part of fermentation can be complete in a few days. Just because the active part is over the yeast clean up byproducts left over from fermentation that can take a little while longer. The smaller batch will usually complete faster than larger batches as well. Also depends on your pitch rate and yeast viability on how quick it will finish. Sounds like your on track. Like I said earlier. If give it another 7-10 days then check your FG if it's the same a couple days later your good to go for bottling/kegging your batch.

So, likely a pretty standard first post, but hey, I guess there’s a reason for that.

Made my first Brew on Monday using a Grainfather and this kit (it’s in Norwegian but you should get the gist of it, if not just ask) https://www.bryggselv.no/Media/Multicase/Documents/Oppskrifter/luckyjack.pdf

Probably a bit adventurous to have my first ever go with all grain but I’m an R&D chemist by trade (and a sucker for shiney kit) and I’m pretty sure I followed the instructions to the letter other than my sparging water being 5-6C too cold. The OG should be 1.046, mines was around 1.039

Anyway, wort cooled and transferred to my fermenter, aerated and dry yeast pitched in unhydrated. Left it for 72 hours with no sign of bubbles or Krausen (sneaked a peek under the lid this morning). At work no but planning to tap a small sample and take a new Hydrometer reading when I get home. If there’s been movement I guess I can relax and just presume the magic has been happening when I’ve not been looking, but I just wondered what my options are if it’s unchanged, as much out of curiosity as to know what my next step should be.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kullibino: Some questions:
- Did the wort taste sweet
- What was the pitching temperature
- Condition of the yeast (age and storage temperature) - and was it ever exposed to heat
- Yeast was US-05 - correct?
- Fermentation temperature, and how steady was the temp - this means beer temp, not ambient

Your active part of fermentation can be complete in a few days. Just because the active part is over the yeast clean up byproducts left over from fermentation that can take a little while longer. The smaller batch will usually complete faster than larger batches as well. Also depends on your pitch rate and yeast viability on how quick it will finish. Sounds like your on track. Like I said earlier. If give it another 7-10 days then check your FG if it's the same a couple days later your good to go for bottling/kegging your batch.

So a follow up question please. A week has passed since your last advice- so it's been about 12 days or so since began and had about 2 days of bubbling. Checked the gravity, and my tester dropped to the bottom- implying zero alcohol correct? Any follow up advise? Thanks so much.

Needs more liquid. No floatation would seem to indicate you turned it entirely to alcohol.

rehydrate in 95-105 degree water
This temp was found by the manufacturer to rehydrate the particular yeas strain while killing the fewest cells. Yeast has nothing to process in water so the higher temp is OK. Also - a small volume of water cools to room temp rather quickly.

when pitching dry not to let the wort be over 80
Rehydrating in wort kills as many as half the cells. Yeast activity begins right away since it has sugar to eat, and above 80F is outside the healthy range for the yeast.

So - Rehydrate in water per the manufacturer's recommendation, pitch within the optimal temp range for the yeast and keep the wort in that range during fermentation.

Isn't it supposed to take like 2 weeks instead of two days? It is only a single gallon batch of that makes any difference. Thanks for the feedback by the way! !

If you pitched a whole packet of US-05 in 1 gallon it would finish very fast. That is typically enough yeast for 5 gallons.

Hi,
I created a 1L starter with a Wyeast smack pack for a 5 gallon batch of ale. It's been in the primary fermenter 14 hours and no activity that I can see. I suspect I didn't aerate enough when transferring to the fermenter. Can I remove the airlock and shake the the carboy for a bit to oxygenate or should I just leave it for 36 hours or so and shake then.

I fear I didn't aerate my wort well enough before pitching my yeast since it's been 18 hours and I don't see any signs of fermentation in spite of the fact I used a 1L starter with Wyeast 1968 smack pack. Am I just paranoid and should wait it out or, if it's possible, should I aerate the wort while in the primary carboy?

Thanks for any responses!!

I fear I didn't aerate my wort well enough before pitching my yeast since it's been 18 hours and I don't see any signs of fermentation in spite of the fact I used a 1L starter with Wyeast 1968 smack pack. Am I just paranoid and should wait it out or, if it's possible, should I aerate the wort while in the primary carboy?

Thanks for any responses!!

Just like the thread title says. Just wait. If you made a starter and know your yeast was alive and healthy then. I'm sure you will be fine. I'd wait it out.

Thanks for the reply! Well it's been almost 3 days and I still don't see any signs of Krausen in the carboy. I've tried swirling the carboy to stir up the yeast and even added some yeast nutrients last night but nothing so far. :(

Thanks for the reply! Well it's been almost 3 days and I still don't see any signs of Krausen in the carboy. I've tried swirling the carboy to stir up the yeast and even added some yeast nutrients last night but nothing so far. :(

Where are you as far as temperature? What yeast?

Where are you as far as temperature? What yeast?

I used a 1L starter with Wyeast 1968 smack pack and my start temp was between 67-72. My fermentation temp is 66.

I checked my gravity reading today to be sure there was no fermentation going on and there wasn't.

I've repitched this afternoon and am waiting for the results.

I'm posting this here because I am coming close to the 72 hour mark and no bubbles!
I did a bad bad thing and pulled the lid to take a peek and this is what I found...

IMG_0434B_zpsfiv57pcc.jpg

Does this look like normal krausen? If so I will just let it set for two weeks or more. The kit was a Milk Stout from Brewers Best and used Nottingham yeast.
This is only my second brew, but the first one, an amber ale with safale-05, bubbled like crazy. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that this is OK!

Thanks for the help!
Gary

Yup. Normal krausen receding with some yeast floaters. It looks like it's at the stage where it'll be knocking off the last few points on it's way down to a stable FG.

Looks ok to me. The ring around the edge above the liquid looks like dried krausen. I'd say your lid doesn't seal that good and your airlock didn't bubble and your wort fermented into beer. Congrats.

Last edited:
I'm posting this here because I am coming close to the 72 hour mark and no bubbles!
I did a bad bad thing and pulled the lid to take a peek and this is what I found...

IMG_0434B_zpsfiv57pcc.jpg

Does this look like normal krausen? If so I will just let it set for two weeks or more. The kit was a Milk Stout from Brewers Best and used Nottingham yeast.
This is only my second brew, but the first one, an amber ale with safale-05, bubbled like crazy. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that this is OK!

Thanks for the help!
Gary

Looks like you're only missing two ingredients---patience and confidence! No sweat, mate! Looks perfectly normal :ban:

Yup. Normal krausen receding with some yeast floaters. It looks like it's at the stage where it'll be knocking off the last few points on it's way down to a stable FG.

Looks ok to me. The ring around the edge above the liquid looks like dried krausen. I'd say your lid doesn't seal that good and your airlock didn't bubble and your wort fermented into beer. Congrats.

Looks like you're only missing two ingredients---patience and confidence! No sweat, mate! Looks perfectly normal :ban:

Thanks guys! You don't know how much better that makes me feel! My amber ale is almost done conditioning so I will relax with a glass of that and a good cigar while the milk stout finishes fermenting.

Thanks again.

This is an English Pale Ale I brewed yesterday. Its my 2nd batch. The first was a Cream Ale, and it started bubbling within 24 hours. Also, I never saw any of the little white blobs like on this one. I'm worried about a few things:
1) that its not really bubbling at all
2) that it may be infected - I sanitized thoroughly, as much as the first time (I think)
3) when i pitched the yeast, a very little amount ended up on the neck of the carboy - maybe i didnt get enough in there?

english pale ale 011916.jpg

This is an English Pale Ale I brewed yesterday. Its my 2nd batch. The first was a Cream Ale, and it started bubbling within 24 hours. Also, I never saw any of the little white blobs like on this one. I'm worried about a few things:
1) that its not really bubbling at all
2) that it may be infected - I sanitized thoroughly, as much as the first time (I think)
3) when i pitched the yeast, a very little amount ended up on the neck of the carboy - maybe i didnt get enough in there?

1) Lag time depends on lots of things. At this point, make sure the temperature is about right (check on yeast website)
2) I see no reason to think it's infected
3) If it was a very small portion of the total, it shouldn't make much difference - pitching rate is approximate. Could extend the lag time.

Good luck.

Hi guys! This is my first all grain brew, it was harder than I thought but everything seemed to be OK.....until now, its been 72 in the fermenter and I have no bubles, no air leak, and I already poured another pack of dry yeast!!! I'm losing it guys.
Starting tge 12th hour it bubbled for a few hours really good, constant and hard but afert a while I couldn't see any action so I panicked and throw another pack of yeast now on the 72nd hour my fermenter is dead!
Should I rock the fermenter? Even if I have a thin thin layer in the top of the surface? What can I do to get this walking?

Thanks!

Have you checked gravity? What's the temperature where your fermenter is? The yeast might have finished.

It seems that fermentation is now going.... though really slow and it only bubbles once every 10 seconds and I'm not able to see big yeast chucks floating and moving. I used a hydrometer to read gravity

Bubbling in the airlock has nothing to do with fermentation. It is simply a vent to release pressure from inside the vessel and keep air and other things out. Your airlock can bubbly for any variety of reasons such as temp change, atmospheric pressure, increase in pressure inside the vessel. Yes it can indicate you are fermenting but the amount of bubbles per so many seconds means nothing other than your airlock is bubbling. If your lid has a leak it may not even bubble but your yeast will still ferment the wort regardless of wether or not your airlock is working properly.
If it's fermenting give it 10-14 days then check gravity. Check it again a few days after. If they are the same hen your fermentation is done and you can then bottle/keg your beer.

Back