Help - "Dirty" Batch of Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zfite731

Reaction score
I have a new batch of a double IPA that has been bottle conditioning for 10 days. I got a little excited about it and i pulled one bottle out, threw it in the fridge and tried it with my dinner. Tasted great! Much better than i anticipated with 10 days of conditioning. I'm going to let the rest of the batch sit another week before i really start drinking/handing out to friends.
One problem with it though, it was very "dirty." It was fairly cloudy in the glass and i could see some particulats floating around in there. When i finished it, the glass that it was in was dirty, it had a nasty looking film all on the inside and not very appealing to an average beer drinker.
What is going on with it? Any ideas?

I got a little excited about it and i pulled one bottle out, threw it in the fridge and tried it with my dinner.

It might not have been in the fridge long enough for the yeast to all go to sleep and sink to the bottom of the bottle. I have been surprised at how long it takes to get from 50F to 40F. Bottle conditioned beer is best kept upright in the fridge at least 12 hours before drinking.

Most of my imperial ipas have a haze to them. Keep em nice and cold a little longer and you should be good.

I got a little excited about it and i pulled one bottle out, threw it in the fridge and tried it with my dinner.

Sounds like it's still working on becoming your best beer ever! It might not have been in the fridge long enough for the yeast to all go to sleep. I have been surprised at how long it takes to get from 50F to 40F. I keep my bottle conditioned beers upright in the fridge at least 12 hours before drinking.

Great help guys! I really appreciate it. I'll just make sure they get good and cold before i try it again.

Back