Fly in my Barley Wine!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneOakDesign

Reaction score
Ok guys, i need some help here. I just went to rack my barley wine to a keg so it can cold condition for a few months. While i was admiring the color of it, I noticed a metallic glint floating on the top. When I looked a little closer, I noticed that it was a fly floating on the surface. I have no idea how long it's been in there or how it even got in there in the first place. I brewed this on June 13th so it could have possibly been in there this whole time. Will this ruin my batch or should it be ok? I'm pretty concerned because I have a bit of time wrapped up in this guy. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated right now. Thanks guys...

As I just mentioned to a fellow who had a bumble bee in his beer...you should be fine.

Especially in a high ABV barley wine, the alcohol will most likely have the sanitary effect to protect your brew.

What's done is done. The worst thing you could do is assume its bad and toss it. Proceed according to plan and wait for your first official pour to decide the outcome.

That's what i was going to do. I just needed a bit of backup to make myself feel better! Although, the lingering aroma of my freshly brewed Stone IPA clone makes me feel about as good as a guy can.:mug:

I think it's great and that you've got yourself a unique naming opportunity. Take it and run with it!
-RS

RedSun said:
I think it's great and that you've got yourself a unique naming opportunity. Take it and run with it!
-RS

I like where this is going. Any suggestions??? Barfly wine perhaps? Ok, maybe not..

flies carry a bacteria that will make wine turn to vinegar. In beer...I don't know?? Taste it??

I had a fly end up in my first AG while i was sparging into my kettle. The beer turned out pretty good.

That was one drunk fly! I'm thinking maybe it fell into your wort while you were boiling and you didn't notice, in which case, the boil has it sanitized.

Back