New to winemaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been homebrewing for over a year now. I started with extract and now doing All Grain. Over the year, I learned a lot on how to make my beer better. I will have my first Vintners Reserve Wine Kit tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips or advise to help make my first batch a success?

Thanks!

Follow the directions exactly, and it'll turn out just fine! It's so unlike beer kits in that way. I always start in an "ale pail" and then rack to the 6 gallon carboy when instructed. Just follow the directions about degassing and topping up when needed, and you'll be golden.

hawkeyes said:
Hello,

I have been homebrewing for over a year now. I started with extract and now doing All Grain. Over the year, I learned a lot on how to make my beer better. I will have my first Vintners Reserve Wine Kit tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips or advise to help make my first batch a success?

Thanks!

One thing I've learned after doing a few kits, don't rush it. The time in days are guidelines, if it lists a specific gravity, it's ok to wait a few days to get there.

Just because it says you can bottle in 6 weeks, you don't have to. It is beneficial to wait a few months prior to bottling. It will age in the bottle as well, don't get me wrong.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

And just because it says it is a six week kit...it typically does not mean it is ideal for consumption at that time. Unless making a Mist-style, wine cooler like, kit.

Read thru the directions a few times and make sure you have everything you need....and all should go just fine.

Thanks for the advise! Would I be fine using filtered tap water like I do for my beer? I figure it it works great for beer should be OK for wine?

Filtered tap should be fine. I use warm tap to dissolve the bentonite and then top off with spring water, but all tap will be fine. Best thing about wine is you don't have to be nearly as anal with the sanitizing!

Is it important to transfer to secondary when it reaches 1.010 like the intructions say? Or is it OK to keep in primary until fermentation is complete? I'm just curious, Thanks!

Is it important to transfer to secondary when it reaches 1.010 like the intructions say? Or is it OK to keep in primary until fermentation is complete? I'm just curious, Thanks!

Transfer when it says, but I didn't think it said 1.010. They want you to transfer to get ready for degassing, so it's not topped up at this point.

Instructions also say to do the following..

"NOTES:
1. Do NOT rack the wine before stabilising and clearing. Winexpert kits require the sediment to be stirred back into suspension. Racking the wine off the sediment prior to fining will permanently prevent clearing. Please be sure to stir all of the sediment up from the bottom.
2. Vigorous stirring is required during this stage. Without vigorous stirring, gas in the wine will prevent clearing.
At each stirring, whip the wine until it stops foaming. Drill-mounted stirring devices (see your retailer) can save labour."

I saw a video where they racked a 2nd time before degassing and adding the rest of the ingredients. They said to do this to leave the sediment behind before degassing. The instructions are actually saying do NOT. Which one do I do?

hawkeyes said:
Instructions also say to do the following..

"NOTES:
1. Do NOT rack the wine before stabilising and clearing. Winexpert kits require the sediment to be stirred back into suspension. Racking the wine off the sediment prior to fining will permanently prevent clearing. Please be sure to stir all of the sediment up from the bottom.
2. Vigorous stirring is required during this stage. Without vigorous stirring, gas in the wine will prevent clearing.
At each stirring, whip the wine until it stops foaming. Drill-mounted stirring devices (see your retailer) can save labour."

I saw a video where they racked a 2nd time before degassing and adding the rest of the ingredients. They said to do this to leave the sediment behind before degassing. The instructions are actually saying do NOT. Which one do I do?

Follow the directions as stated. It does work!

hawkeyes said:
Thanks for the advise! Would I be fine using filtered tap water like I do for my beer? I figure it it works great for beer should be OK for wine?

Apparently the water profile is less important in wine than beer, so if that's fine for your beer, its fine for your wine!

hawkeyes,
The following link is to an article from Tim Vandergrift, who is the guru from Winexpert:
http://www.winemakermag.com/component/content/article/26/850

Be patient, and don't rush the process. Check with your wine supply shop to see if they would test your wine prior to bottling. Kits normally have a low acid level, so I normally add the appropriate amount of tartaric acid.

When adding water per the instructions, spring water is fine. Do not use distilled water.

Cheers,
Tom

hawkeyes said:
Hello,

Thanks!

Hi, I'm just jumping on this forum asking for advise as I'm new to winemaking too. I have my 3rd wine on the go: Ken Ridge Classic Sav Blanc.

I'm due to rack my wine into a new carboy in two days for degassing. The instructions say to add the Potassium Metabisulphate and stir with a spoon (or shake). Stir wine several times over the next 2 days.

I have a wine whip, so stir with that. My dilemma is that I'm going away over those 2 days. Do I: 1. Leave it and do it when I come back? Or 2. Just go crazy with the wine whip over a short period and move onto adding Potassium Sorbate & Fining Agent?

FYI My gravity level when I last checked 18 days ago was .994 (target <1.010). My target before degassing is .995

I'm inclined to just leave it and figure extra time will only make it better?

Hi, I'm just jumping on this forum asking for advise as I'm new to winemaking too. I have my 3rd wine on the go: Ken Ridge Classic Sav Blanc.

I'm due to rack my wine into a new carboy in two days for degassing. The instructions say to add the Potassium Metabisulphate and stir with a spoon (or shake). Stir wine several times over the next 2 days.

I have a wine whip, so stir with that. My dilemma is that I'm going away over those 2 days. Do I: 1. Leave it and do it when I come back? Or 2. Just go crazy with the wine whip over a short period and move onto adding Potassium Sorbate & Fining Agent?

FYI My gravity level when I last checked 18 days ago was .994 (target <1.010). My target before degassing is .995

I'm inclined to just leave it and figure extra time will only make it better?

Rack it, degas it with your whip, and then simply add your finings and top up (or whatever the instructions say at that point).

The reason they have you do it over two days is because stirring is an inefficient way to do it, and it takes forever! Use the wine whip, and be done with it.

Follow the directions. After you degass it is time to top off. It is best to top off with wine the same stile you are making.

I have a 6 gallon carboy. Do I top off all the way to the neck of the carboy? After I racked the wine, it only reached to right where the top of the carboy starts to curve. I would say there is probably half a gallon left to reach the neck.

I have a 6 gallon carboy. Do I top off all the way to the neck of the carboy? After I racked the wine, it only reached to right where the top of the carboy starts to curve. I would say there is probably half a gallon left to reach the neck.

Yes, if you're doing a 6 gallon wine kit. It should go to within about 2 inches of the bung, or at least where the very narrow opening starts at the bottom of the neck of the carboy.

Yes, if you're doing a 6 gallon wine kit. It should go to within about 2 inches of the bung, or at least where the very narrow opening starts at the bottom of the neck of the carboy.

Thanks, do you recommend I use the same type of wine to top off? Or will water work?

Water only, in a 6 gallon wine kit. The topping off is built into the recipe.

I am new to this and just want to make sure this looks right. Seems like a lot of water to add.

photo.jpg

It is a 6 gallon carboy. It says 6 gallon on the bottom. I am just wondering if this carboy is a bit bigger then 6 gallon. I was reading on here that some carboys do have some extra headspace .25 - .75 gallon extra. If it is, maybe it won't matter too much.

When I am done with this kit. I will test the carboy by measuring 6 gallons and pouring it into the carboy to be sure.

It is a 6 gallon carboy. It says 6 gallon on the bottom. I am just wondering if this carboy is a bit bigger then 6 gallon. I was reading on here that some carboys do have some extra headspace .25 - .75 gallon extra. If it is, maybe it won't matter too much.

When I am done with this kit. I will test the carboy by measuring 6 gallons and pouring it into the carboy to be sure.

Yes, it probably holds more than 6 gallons. But it really doesn't matter. Really. The wine kit manufacturer knows this, and it will be fine. I promise.

Winexpert even guarantees their kits, if you follow their (excellent) instructions. Relax. It's a decent cheap kit, and the instructions are good. The manufacturer is well known as backing up their products. It's fine. Really.

Yes, it probably holds more than 6 gallons. But it really doesn't matter. Really. The wine kit manufacturer knows this, and it will be fine. I promise.

Winexpert even guarantees their kits, if you follow their (excellent) instructions. Relax. It's a decent cheap kit, and the instructions are good. The manufacturer is well known as backing up their products. It's fine. Really.

Thanks Yooper!

I learned that at one point years ago, 6 gal. carboys made in Mexico and those made in Italy may not have been exactly 6 gal.

I once racked from an Italian carboy to a Mexican carboy and had about 32 oz left over.

Nonetheless, when I now rack to a carboy, I do so to the same style carboy so the volume is the same.

Cheers!

I have some questions about the degassing part. I just spent about an hour and half stiring the wine with a 24" Mix-stir w/ drill. Seems like all the foam is gone. I see some bubbles but not totally gone. Should the Wine have no signs of bubbles? Also, the instructions said to take a sample and shake it, and let go. If there was a 'puff' then its not done yet. I did this and it foamed up and made the puffing sound. So I'm assuming I gotta keep doing this? Is it OK to go back to it tomorrow or the day after? Do I have to top off now or when the degassing is completed?

I have some questions about the degassing part. I just spent about an hour and half stiring the wine with a 24" Mix-stir w/ drill. Seems like all the foam is gone. I see some bubbles but not totally gone. Should the Wine have no signs of bubbles? Also, the instructions said to take a sample and shake it, and let go. If there was a 'puff' then its not done yet. I did this and it foamed up and made the puffing sound. So I'm assuming I gotta keep doing this? Is it OK to go back to it tomorrow or the day after? Do I have to top off now or when the degassing is completed?

Yes, if you take it out and shake it and get gas, you're not done degassing. Top it up when degassing is completed.

Degassing is easier when the wine is warmer, as warm wine releases c02 better. If you can get it to a warmer place, that will help it go faster. Tomorrow or the day after is fine.

Yes, if you take it out and shake it and get gas, you're not done degassing. Top it up when degassing is completed.

Degassing is easier when the wine is warmer, as warm wine releases c02 better. If you can get it to a warmer place, that will help it go faster. Tomorrow or the day after is fine.

Thanks! Since the basement is cooler, I moved the carboy upstairs to warm up. I will try again tomorrow!

Another question, is it possible to rock / shake the carboy instead of stirring to degas?

hawkeyes said:
Another question, is it possible to rock / shake the carboy instead of stirring to degas?

That's how I do it. Not sure it is preferred because it will get aerated.

For degassing, I mix in the sorbate, metabisulfate, etc., with a stirring rod on a electric drill and stir for several minutes. I then split the batch into two carboys and shake each one side to side until degassed. I cover the mouth of the carboy with a sanitized latex gloved hand. This takes some upper body strength, or develops upper body strength if needed. This ends up being like taking a two liter bottle of soda and shaking until the gas is gone.
Again, a lot of work for this, but I found that it gets the job done.

Latest posts

Back