Digital Multimeter as a Thermometer - can I replace the probe with any Thermocouples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reverendnathan

Reaction score
I have this multimeter here, in which a thermometer probe connects to the COM and red line. I've had other thermometers over time, but this is pretty damn accurate, I think down to the degree. Unfortunately, I broke the included thermometer probe, and Extech, the manufacture, does not have a replacement.

I believe the item was a thermocouple, but the inputs were separated, like a voltage tester's two inputs are separated, and not together as one connected line, like a thermocouple probe's input. Does this mean buying a thermocouple probe will not work, and if so, am I SOL for a replacement thermometer probe?

Here is a picture for clarification:
XjH9m.jpg

Will a thermocouple probe connect to this multimeter? Does something like the thermometer probe I broke exist so I can just replace that?

EDIT: From the manual: "1. Insert the type K thermocouple probe into the Temp and COM jacks." So... does that mean this is indeed a thermocouple probe?

Easiest thing to do is find one of these

Fluke_80AK_Multimeter_Temperature_Adapter.m.gif

http://www.testpath.com/Categories/Adapters-K-Type-Miniconnector-to-Banana-Plugs-7790.htm

It will allow you to stick a standard thermocouple probe into it. I'm guessing the correct metals are used to ensure no junction errors.

Or you could just get a thermocouple with pigtails, split and separate the wires, and attach them to banana jacks ( Radio Shack).

If you don't have thermocouples, you can just about anything you want at Omega (http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/sectionSC.asp?section=A&book=temperature).

EDIT: From the manual: "1. Insert the type K thermocouple probe into the Temp and COM jacks." So... does that mean this is indeed a thermocouple probe?

Your edit says it all! Every DMM I've used only reads type K thermocouples. Tons of sources for them, even McMaster sells some. Passedpawn is right, Omega has an awesome selection.

Cool, thanks for the responses! I am going to check Fry's today to see if they have them, if not I'll order online. Looks like the cheapest is Thermoworks has a 12$ probe.

Hmm... this makes me think I should just install thermocouples in my mashtun, HLT and kettle and leave some connectors for me to walk up and plug in my multimeter...

This is interesting. I have a Sperry DM5300 that says it can use 'temperature adapter TA-1A' to measure from -50 to 1300 C. I haven't thoroughly searched yet but it appears to be a K type thermocouple adapter. Is anyone familiar with that type of add on to a multimeter? What setting would I use to read temp?

This is interesting. I have a Sperry DM5300 that says it can use 'temperature adapter TA-1A' to measure from -50 to 1300 C. I haven't thoroughly searched yet but it appears to be a K type thermocouple adapter. Is anyone familiar with that type of add on to a multimeter? What setting would I use to read temp?

There's usually a setting with a little picture of a bulb thermometer, or else there's a special mode on the DC mV setting. :mug:

OK, one last question: uhh... how much should I be paying for all this? Fry's wants 30$ for a FLUKE brand thermocouple with a banana plug, however the material specs say not to use it in a liquid application... so that sort of turns me off. I mean, this whole multimeter cost me 25$, it seems ridiculous to replace all of it with 30$ worth of equipment...

Back