Sidearms=stop growing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazedandconfused

Reaction score
I heard a customer at a brewshop say that when a plant starts to grows sidearms it will stop growing vertically. Is this true? My tallest plant (centennial) already yas some good sideams and its only 5 feet.

Generally, there's a transition in growth when the plant starts to switch from vegetative to reproductive growth. The sidearm formation (where the hops are produced) seems to vary from variety to variety. Some begin to throw out sidearms very early and others much later. I think it all has to do with when the cones actually start forming. I've never really bothered to try to keep track of the whole process but have just let them do their thing. But, I have noticed that during the first year or two of growth, some do seem to push the laterals out a little early. Maybe like teenagers, their hormones get kinda whacked out and they try to be like the adults? I wouldn't worry about it as there's a lot of growing season left.

I agree with B-HOPPY. I have had plants that are 1.5 ft tall start to produce laterals and reached 14 ft. The Cascade seem to slow the vertical grothe when they start to produce laterals.

Back