and another bites the dust! in a bad way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
i have now had 2 beers get contaminated i dont know what i am doing wrong. I am doing all grain brewing and use star sans on everything post boil for 30 sec to 1 min (checking the pH of it each time). I plan on bleaching everything i have that i cant easily replace. I will buy all new tubing and after bleaching everything i will star sanz everything for atleast an hour. the contamination has come one on bottles and one kegging. Does anyone have any non obvious places for contamination that i might be missing. I am fairly new when it comes to brewing and i have had 3 beers not get contaminated and 2 that did. One thing i can think might have caused it was the rubber bung for the airlock as it is kinda old and i did have the beer get up to the airlock where i then replaced it with a blow off at it already pushed yeast up through the airlock. Any thought would be much appreciated

bottling spout, but that would not explain the kegging issue. I took mine apart and it was vile. Auto siphon?
I had/have a similar issue, it is a horrible feeling.

i brew in my apt and have the exhaust fan going as i chill with a wort chiller is it easy for moving air to contaminate beer?

i use an auto syphon it is pretty clean i use star sans before and after using this and the contamination was evident on kegging day. does everyone lysol the area they work on before they start? i try and be careful with star sans amount left over cause i feel like i can taste it if i get too much bubbles or if its still dripping from something like a spoon that goes in the beer

It was a blue moon clone but it is super sour yesterday when I kegged it it was sour today it's even more sour. It does have the zest of 2 lemons, 2 oranges, and 1 grapefruit but it taste like hoegegarden (sp) with like half a lemon squeezed in. I won't give up on it yet but it was one of those beers where you take sip and your face puckers up and you swing your head while saying "yaahaa"

Back