Is anyone else accused of being in a cult???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigB

Reaction score
I just find this absolutlely humorous. SWMBO has asserted that I have joined a "cult" by becoming obsessed with home brewing. Apparently she is not alone in this- I have two friends who also started home brewing at roughly the same time and thier wives also accused them of being in a cult. Now the funny thing is, is that all 3 of these women came to the conclusion without talking to the others!:ban:

well then you better not let your SWMBO see the mark of the brewer on you. hopefully you will be lucky like me and its above your hair line. what ever you do just don't go bald.

Not accused . . . no. I am thinking of starting one though, and having the female members wear dirndls and sell home brew at the airport. Might be good income for the cult. And after all, I really want three Rolls Royces, not just two. It can't even be considered a proper cult if the leader only owns two, sheesh!

P.S. Hoping to recruit these two as my first followers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caffeine_inc/2987477742

I've amazed some people at how serious I plan on becoming. (It seems to me as if it will become a life long hobby.)
Most of my friends still consider it pretty low priority. But I'm trying to get pretty serious and do things the best way possible.

Are you positive that the three of you aren't in a cult that HAPPENS to enjoy homebrewing?

Oh, wait.. if we are a cult, we are inches away from being a church. See IRS' IRC section 501(c)(3)
Actually, I think "scientific society" is more socially acceptable.
Who is to argue with science... hmm.

Are you positive that the three of you aren't in a cult that HAPPENS to enjoy homebrewing?

Hmm... I did catch myself reciting the sacred oath earlier... and, well, yes, the three of us have been friends and previous co-workers for many years.... hmmm... Nope... I still deny being in a cult. I will report this oddity to the grand master pooba for his enlightened advice though.

Oh, wait.. if we are a cult, we are inches away from being a church. See IRS' IRC section 501(c)(3)
Actually, I think "scientific society" is more socially acceptable.
Who is to argue with science... hmm.

Oh I'm pretty sure we are already a religion. Do we not have several reverend societal members who provide us counseling in our moments of brewing strife?

To the original poster, be strong in your convictions. Your wife will see the wisdom in our ways, and she shall soon bring the sacred chalice to her lips in joy and celebration.

Does she think you're the only one that makes beer by a full moon after sacrificing a pre-pubescent goat? Have you shown her the official brewer's costume?

monk.jpg

It's a cult. It's a cult. It's a cult.

I'd say this cult's mecca is Colorado. I'll say Boulder to be fair, and because it's a great town. Anyone?

I think Portland, Oregon will dispute that claim (even if I am a tad biased). That being said, "One of us! One of us!"

5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : the object of such devotion c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

This is from websters. Hmmmm she may be rite lol

Heretic--how can you even question your beliefs in that way.

You must read the holy book of JohnPalmer again, and visit your local temple LHBS-el 3 times this week for penance.

Unless you belong to that schism group, the ChBS (Church of Brew Scientist)--in that case you must volunteer time in the ChBS Drinking Room teaching non-believers the way to Full Conversion.

Do not follow the idolators from the Church of Brewtology, for ever trying to reach "clear", because not all beer needs to be "clear, (and secret sources say that they get major funding from BMC)

t :)

SWMBO only started accusing me of belonging to a cult after I started getting on HBT every day. It was then that she realized I was a member of a cult.

I don't think of it as a cult, but as a noble brotherhood of individuals seeking self-satifaction in the pursuit of the perfect brew.

The Brethren of the Prost, if you will.

We are way too big and global to be classified as a cult. Definitely qualify as a religion.

Please send your love offerings to ...

I forget what my 'passion du jour' was at the time but my wife said, "I think you love that more than me". I replied, "That's silly. You really shouldn't have to think about which one I love more". She smiled and walked away and I didn't even have to lie to her. :D

I just find this absolutlely humorous. SWMBO has asserted that I have joined a "cult" by becoming obsessed with home brewing. Apparently she is not alone in this- I have two friends who also started home brewing at roughly the same time and thier wives also accused them of being in a cult. Now the funny thing is, is that all 3 of these women came to the conclusion without talking to the others!:ban:

If you believe this, I have some buckets of condensed steam for sale on craigslist you should check out.

Aw cut him some slack. He just wanted to bust out with the bucket of steam joke. You see, the bucket of steam is like something that it's not because there is water where you thought there would be some other kind of steam.. you know, like condensed steam. But it's not. It's just water.

I wish I were clever, now I'm just sad. Sad because I really wanted to have a bucket of steam... or something. What was I talking about again? Hey, how did I get inside? I thought I was outside. Did I mention I'm not outside? That's because I'm inside. Inside the CULT!!!! :rockin:

- M

:cross::cross::cross::cross::cross:

I personally think it is hilarious to "resurrect" the "cult thread"...

Latest posts

Back