Best Nut Brown Ale Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering what you feel is the best extract version of a Nut Brown Ale. Just had my first tonight, and I want to brew up a batch.

If there aren't any "WOW that's good!" extract recipes, I may venture into AG...but I'll only have 3 extract batch's under my belt.

This is one of my families favorite beers. I threw this one together a few years ago, and it's the only beer I still brew with extract because it's a fan favorite. I don't want to switch it to all-grain when it's good how it is.

.5 lbs. American Caramel 40°L
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L
1 lbs. German Light Munich
.5 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
2.25 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
6.6 lbs. Liquid Light Extract
.6875 lbs. Maple Syrup
1 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.8 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Argentina Cascade (Pellets, 3.5 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 teaspoons Irish Moss
Yeast : WYeast 1728 Scottish Ale

I'll have to go look through my notes to get the details on the recipe. If you're interested, let me know and I'll post them. I know the grains were steeped at 154F, but I'm not sure of the water amounts I used. I used a 4 gallon boil and topped up to 5 gallons at the end. O.G. was 1.081 so it's a great winter beer.

This is one of my families favorite beers. I threw this one together a few years ago, and it's the only beer I still brew with extract because it's a fan favorite. I don't want to switch it to all-grain when it's good how it is.

.5 lbs. American Caramel 40°L
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L
1 lbs. German Light Munich
.5 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
2.25 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
6.6 lbs. Liquid Light Extract
.6875 lbs. Maple Syrup
1 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.8 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Argentina Cascade (Pellets, 3.5 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 teaspoons Irish Moss
Yeast : WYeast 1728 Scottish Ale

I'll have to go look through my notes to get the details on the recipe. If you're interested, let me know and I'll post them. I know the grains were steeped at 154F, but I'm not sure of the water amounts I used. I used a 4 gallon boil and topped up to 5 gallons at the end. O.G. was 1.081 so it's a great winter beer.

Yes please!

I'm quite proud of my Brown Biscuit ale that's in my dropdown under the punk cat there on the left. Always get lots of good reviews on it.

My very 1st extract kit I did was the HexNut Brown Ale from Midwest. Its supposed to be a GooseIsland NutBrown Clone.
It turned out really really good, and I would brew it again for sure!

My very 1st extract kit I did was the HexNut Brown Ale from Midwest. Its supposed to be a GooseIsland NutBrown Clone.
It turned out really really good, and I would brew it again for sure!

I don't think mine was the HexNut, but I also got a NutBrown kit from Midwest a while back, and it was great.

Okay, here's the details on the above recipe. Steep grains in 4.8qts of water@154F for 45minutes. Rinse with 3.6qts of 170F water. Add enough water to make 4 gallons. Boil for 60 minutes adding hops and DME at the beginning of boil. Add LME at the last 15 minutes of boil. Add Maple Syrup in the last minute of boil. Cool wort and add water to make 5 gallons. Aerate and Ferment at 72 degrees.

If you have any questions, let me know.

windriverbrewing.com has a fantastic brown ale kit, Black Bear Brown ale. I've started doing non-kit brews, but am going to stick with this one cause it's so good. He's a member and gives discounts to HBT members in the vendor forum.

@ Suthrncomfrt1884:

Wow, that looks really good! I was just starting to think about brewing a brown ale, and I think this'll be the one. Thanks for sharing.

Not a problem. I do suggest giving it time though. The last time I brewed this recipe was in December of last year. I still have a 12 pack left from the last batch. After reading this thread, I got in the mood for a brown ale, so I stuck a couple in the fridge. I tried one tonight and it was excellent. By far, one of my favorite recipes. It has a little bit of alcohol warmth from the 8+% ABV, but it's sweet, nutty, and goes down great.

Not a problem. I do suggest giving it time though. The last time I brewed this recipe was in December of last year. I still have a 12 pack left from the last batch. After reading this thread, I got in the mood for a brown ale, so I stuck a couple in the fridge. I tried one tonight and it was excellent. By far, one of my favorite recipes. It has a little bit of alcohol warmth from the 8+% ABV, but it's sweet, nutty, and goes down great.

Thanks, I've got it on my brewblogger site now for all eternity :)

Justin*Howe's BrewBlog > Recipes > Nut Brown Ale [Brown Porter]

Thanks, I've got it on my brewblogger site now for all eternity :)

Justin*Howe's BrewBlog > Recipes > Nut Brown Ale [Brown Porter]

Dude, is that BrewBlogger something you whipped up yourself?

If so, congrats, I really like the layout of the site, all the calculators and reference sheets, etc..... :mug:

(if not, still a cool site!)

You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer". :rockin:

Edit: Oh, hehe,:eek: hunted around some more, and realized it's sourceforge....still, I like how it groups stuff, and thanks to you I now know it exists!!

Why do you have this categorized at a Brown Porter? I guess English Browns and Porters could almost be the same thing at some point on their scales. Also, your IBU's seem way off from my calculations. I had around 45 I believe.

I used Beer Smith, which doesn't have a Brown Ale as an option. I can add it, but I need to know the actual OG and FG, the maximums for both, the Bitterness minimum and maximum IBU, the Carbonation minimum and maximum volumes, and the color. I would also need to know the IBU or % of the individual ingredients, as the current ones reflect what Beer Smith thinks they are.

I'm too new to know these numbers :)

Dude, is that BrewBlogger something you whipped up yourself?

If so, congrats, I really like the layout of the site, all the calculators and reference sheets, etc..... :mug:

(if not, still a cool site!)

You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer". :rockin:

Edit: Oh, hehe,:eek: hunted around some more, and realized it's sourceforge....still, I like how it groups stuff, and thanks to you I now know it exists!!

Haha, yeah, it's basically an opensource PHP site linked with a MySQL database. I will be modifying the look of it to match my primary site though, HOWETechnical*|*Technology Expanded. Pretty simple to do.

I used Beer Smith, which doesn't have a Brown Ale as an option. I can add it, but I need to know the actual OG and FG, the maximums for both, the Bitterness minimum and maximum IBU, the Carbonation minimum and maximum volumes, and the color. I would also need to know the IBU or % of the individual ingredients, as the current ones reflect what Beer Smith thinks they are.

Try BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index

I'll grab them as soon as I get home. I think I would classify this as a Northern too. It's a bit tricky since it's an imperial. None of the ABV, IBU's, or OG and FG will fit into category with the regular (non-imperial) style.

Brown malt. Use it.

I'm not sure where you get yours, but I'd like to know. My LHBS has never carried Brown Malt, and probably never will. Whenever I want some, I have to make it myself. I think it's starting to make a comeback though, so hopefully I'm wrong about my LHBS not carrying it in the future.

I'm not sure where you get yours, but I'd like to know. My LHBS has never carried Brown Malt, and probably never will. Whenever I want some, I have to make it myself. I think it's starting to make a comeback though, so hopefully I'm wrong about my LHBS not carrying it in the future.

Thomas Fawcett Makes it so anyone who carries them should have it or be able to get it. AHS has is, so does midwest. I get it from my LHBS.

Okay, here's the details on the above recipe. Steep grains in 4.8qts of water@154F for 45minutes. Rinse with 3.6qts of 170F water. Add enough water to make 4 gallons. Boil for 60 minutes adding hops and DME at the beginning of boil. Add LME at the last 15 minutes of boil. Add Maple Syrup in the last minute of boil. Cool wort and add water to make 5 gallons. Aerate and Ferment at 72 degrees.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Looks like a great recipe -- I'll definitely give it a try.

BTW -- At what point in the boil would I add the Irish Moss?

Thanks,

Rick

Any feed back on this yet? I just brewed this last week with a OG of 1.091, its going to be huge!

I'm not sure who else has brewed this. My personal feedback is obvious though. If you like it, please add your comments to my actual recipe for other people to see. Also, I'd let it age for at least 3-4 months before trying it. I tried one a few weeks ago that was about 6 months old and it was great. A beer like this really needs time to meld all it's flavors.

How did you get a 1.091 from this recipe? Did you add something or do anything differently?

Looks like a great recipe -- I'll definitely give it a try.

BTW -- At what point in the boil would I add the Irish Moss?

Thanks,

Rick

Irish Moss is added at the last 15 minutes of the boil.

The only thing I did different was bump up the grains to full pounds, so I didn;t waste anything, didn't figure this would bump it up 20 full points

and on a side note, this is the first big beer I have done, and at 1.091 it ended up on my ceiling and walls, fun day after a 10 hour shift coming home to cleaning it all up

The only thing I did different was bump up the grains to full pounds, so I didn;t waste anything, didn't figure this would bump it up 20 full points

and on a side note, this is the first big beer I have done, and at 1.091 it ended up on my ceiling and walls, fun day after a 10 hour shift coming home to cleaning it all up

Wow. I can't gaurantee anything with that beer. 2 lbs. of crystal is a LOT...more than I'd ever concider using in a recipe. Also, I hope you didn't bump the chocolate up to a full pound...

Back