Chocolate Milk stout recipe (partial mash) Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny_P

Reaction score
I've already went ahead and ordered the ingredients, But I want some suggestions on how you think this would work...

This is my first go with a recipe of my own (borrowed from other people I trust...)

Let me know what y'all think. Constructive criticism welcome.

I'm working this using Beersmith for the first time.

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 1/4/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Danny P
Boil Size: 4.08 gal Asst Brewer: CarePalm
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.51 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 31.83 %
3.01 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 27.28 %
1.51 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 13.64 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.40 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
1.00 cup Bakers Chocolate (Boil 20.0 min) Misc
1.00 cup Bakers Chocolate (Boil 40.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9.06 %
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.00 %

Without analysing too much,at a glance it looks like a very big heavy brew.
It's gonna be an experience that's for sure.
I think with those ingredients I'd add butter a bit of flour and eggs and chuck it in the oven.

I hope it turns out well for you.
I've never done a brew like this so what'd I know.

I doubt the FG will go down to 1005 though.

With the lactose and oats, I'd look somewhere in the range of 1.025 for FG. Also, I'd make sure to make a good starter and be ready to give it a good amount of time for fermentation.

I've heard that quick oats are the way to go if you are doing a partial mash. Although I haven't had the chance to try this yet, it may be worth looking into.

With the lactose and oats, I'd look somewhere in the range of 1.025 for FG. Also, I'd make sure to make a good starter and be ready to give it a good amount of time for fermentation.

I've heard that quick oats are the way to go if you are doing a partial mash. Although I haven't had the chance to try this yet, it may be worth looking into.

Ahh, I was unsure as to the Out procedure for Partial Mash.

I'd add butter a bit of flour and eggs and chuck it in the oven.

What would you suggest be done to reduce the "bread recipe" aspect here.

i am looking forward to hearing what people think about this brew. I would LOVE to do a good milk stout.

i am looking forward to hearing what people think about this brew. I would LOVE to do a good milk stout.

I'll post notes as I brew it. I ordered the ingredients from Brewmaster's Warehouse, which I liked. But they didn't have the lactose, which I bought from Midwest. I'll probably brew sometime next week.

I like to be experimental, to a degree. But I figured that after all of my "safe" kits I've brewed it was time to go ahead and try something a little more "risky"

Have YOU ever done a not-so-good milk stout?

I'll post notes as I brew it. I ordered the ingredients from Brewmaster's Warehouse, which I liked. But they didn't have the lactose, which I bought from Midwest. I'll probably brew sometime next week.

I like to be experimental, to a degree. But I figured that after all of my "safe" kits I've brewed it was time to go ahead and try something a little more "risky"

Danny,

Thank you for the order, I really appreciate it. I just wanted to let you know that we do indeed have lactose available for sale. I am glad I found this thread since it seems last nights update had the sale price of $0.00. :ban:

Glad to know I can get lactose from you guys as well. My LHBS has expanded. So between you and them, I should be golden.

I have not brewed a milk yet... i wish i had a good excuse why the hell not. I am about to keg my porter that i borrowed from Biermuncher (his robust porter) wich uses lactose, malto dextrine, and oats. I am really excited about that beer.

My next beer will have to be a milk followed by the house pale ale and then maybe an apelwein. I really cant wait to hear how this turns out.. and what others contribute to your recipe. This sounds delicious!

Danny,

Thank you for the order, I really appreciate it. I just wanted to let you know that we do indeed have lactose available for sale. I am glad I found this thread since it seems last nights update had the sale price of $0.00. :ban:

I will have to start using your company soon. I live relatively close to Beer Depot / Beer Necessities, but would like to share the love with a fellow HBTer. I want to keep Beer Necessities around tpo as it is convenient to run by them when i need something quick and they seem to be great people also.

Unless you're a complete n00b there's really no reason to use anything other than Extra Pale extract. Also cascades in a stout sound gross, i'd go for something soft, along the lines of EKGs or something.

Latest posts

Back