Newbie cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blamo

Reaction score
I am making my first attempt at cider (or any fermentation for that matter) and am wondering how long it generally should take for fermentation to kick in. I pitched the yeast about 36 hours ago and have had minimal action in the airlock. Since I did not use a starter, can I assume it takes a bit longer to get going?

My instincts tell me I'm just being impatient but I haven't done this before and have no frame of reference.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It can easily take 72 hours to start. It will not be done 48 hours later even if the bubbles slow way down. The Bubble do not mean anything. Only an SG reading will give you an good read of what is happening. Once it is over, SG below 1.000 then it still needs at least 4 weeks to clear and clean up. You need to not do anything for the next 8 weeks while it takes its slow time getting ready.

It is what it is. take your SG readings, don't bother it too much and above all do not worry. It will probably turn out ok. It is almost certain that the less you bother it the better it will be. :D

The fear that you screwed it up is common when you start. Relax its fine. You just gave life to several billion new pets that will give their life to give you alcohol. Don't be in a hurry to have them die.

Thank you all for the reassurance.

I originally posted when I was at work, and when I got home, BUBBLES. One every 20 seconds or so. Seems to be picking up a bit since then.

Thank you all for the reassurance.

I originally posted when I was at work, and when I got home, BUBBLES. One every 20 seconds or so. Seems to be picking up a bit since then.

Great! Now STOP counting bubbles for the next 2 weeks. Then take an SG and see where you are. But no matter if you have 20 a minute, 2 a minute or 150 a minute ignore it for at least 2 weeks. 3 would be even better.

I know its hard but its what you need to do.

Great! Now STOP counting bubbles for the next 2 weeks. Then take an SG and see where you are. But no matter if you have 20 a minute, 2 a minute or 150 a minute ignore it for at least 2 weeks. 3 would be even better.

I know its hard but its what you need to do.

Ok, more newbie stuff. After three weeks are up, what SG should I be looking for? I regret to say I failed to take a reading prior to starting, but I used 1.5 gallons of fresh cider (UV pasteurized if that makes a difference) plus 1 pound of honey, cote des blanc yeast.

Then my next best step would be to rack into a secondary and let it go for some months correct?

Ok, more newbie stuff. After three weeks are up, what SG should I be looking for? I regret to say I failed to take a reading prior to starting, but I used 1.5 gallons of fresh cider (UV pasteurized if that makes a difference) plus 1 pound of honey, cote des blanc yeast.

Then my next best step would be to rack into a secondary and let it go for some months correct?

It might finish as low as .990-1.000, but even so, it doesn't matter. Wait until it's done, then you can rack it if you'd like. I rack whenever I have lees 1/4 thick, or if it needs to be racked. It should finish fermenting, and then start to clear.

Back