Position of hole for spigot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eves

Reaction score
I've been using a Coopers Fermentor which has a spigot in it for my first set of beers. I finally picked up a real bottling bucket and spigot yesterday and I need to drill the hole for the spigot.

So where do I drill the hole? I mean do I drill it as near to the bottom of the bucket as possible? 1/4", 1/2"... up from the bottom? Obviously I don't want it too high but I wonder how low it should be.

I just measured mine, I put it in so that the Bottom Edge of the outer gasket was 1/2" from the bottom of the bucket...I was afraid to use my hole saw any lower, but in retrospect I could have...

But I recently added a dip tube to my bottling bucket, and yesterday when bottling 2 batches, all that was remaining in the bottom of the bucket was about 6 ounce of beer...Not bad!!

I made mine out of a small piece of bent copper tubing, and a drilled stopper that fit inside the back of the bottling spigot.

Great, 1/2" from the bottom of the gasket sounds good. Thanks

Here's Maltmonkey's version;

I just wanted to update this thread and say that Boerderij Kabouter's solution works PERFECT. I got every last drop out of the bucket with no stinkin' tipping ! :mug:

Here's what I made:

s489zk.jpg

The stopper was the smallest one my LHBS carries (don't know the size #) and the tubing was just some extra I had laying around (don't know the size either but it fits perfectly into the stopper).

The tubing came in a coil so it was already curved--I just cut the end off at 45°.

The only downside is that requires access to a pair of scissors and it costs like a whole dollar to make.

Some people soften a piece of racking cane and bend it to fit, for mine I just got a small piece of copper tubing and bent it to fit...like I said it works great! less than half a beer remained in the bottom.

Back