I tried Edworts Apfelwein...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made up a gallon of Apfelwein a few weeks ago, and bottled it two days ago in 8 oz glass Coke bottles. Listen in as I sample it!

"ok, all the bottles are filled, only a little bit left in that last one. I guess that's my sample."

takes a drink

"Hmmm... can't taste anything...."

Hmmm... maybe a bit of apple there at the end.

takes another drink

"Yes, definitely some apple in there. Not very tart, not very sweet. maybe over some ice?"

Opens another bottle pours over ice.

takes another drink.

"Not bad, but I wonder if some Sierra Mist can give it a bit more sweet..."

Adds a dash of Sierra Mist.

"Hmm... sweeter, but not sure if sweeter is better."

drinks rest of bottle. Looks at remaining bottles. Wonders how they will ever last until another batch is ready!

I had another bottle last night, reading to the kids. I can say that the taste is subtle, clean, and actually pretty refreshing! I have not given it out to anyone to taste, other than my wife, so I dont' know how well, this would be received. My wife said it isn't bad, but she really doesn't drink wine, and if she did, it would be a cheap sweet wine, like Arbor Mist (is that even wine?).

I could stand to up the alcohol a little. I didn't add any sugar because I didnt' want it too hot, but I think it's pretty tame, so I might add a pound or two next time.

I think I better get a 5 Gallon carboy set up with some more pretty soon!

The sugar adds a nice kick, if you want it sweet, you can back sweeten with glycerine.

I made up a gallon of Apfelwein a few weeks ago, and bottled it two days ago in 8 oz glass Coke bottles. Listen in as I sample it!

"ok, all the bottles are filled, only a little bit left in that last one. I guess that's my sample."

takes a drink

"Hmmm... can't taste anything...."

Hmmm... maybe a bit of apple there at the end.

takes another drink

"Yes, definitely some apple in there. Not very tart, not very sweet. maybe over some ice?"

Opens another bottle pours over ice.

takes another drink.

"Not bad, but I wonder if some Sierra Mist can give it a bit more sweet..."

Adds a dash of Sierra Mist.

"Hmm... sweeter, but not sure if sweeter is better."

drinks rest of bottle. Looks at remaining bottles. Wonders how they will ever last until another batch is ready!

I had another bottle last night, reading to the kids. I can say that the taste is subtle, clean, and actually pretty refreshing! I have not given it out to anyone to taste, other than my wife, so I dont' know how well, this would be received. My wife said it isn't bad, but she really doesn't drink wine, and if she did, it would be a cheap sweet wine, like Arbor Mist (is that even wine?).

I could stand to up the alcohol a little. I didn't add any sugar because I didnt' want it too hot, but I think it's pretty tame, so I might add a pound or two next time.

I think I better get a 5 Gallon carboy set up with some more pretty soon!

ok 3 1/2 months later, whats your outlook now?

Back