Igloo Stainless Steel Mini Refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukus

Reaction score
Lukus said:
I am interested in getting a Sanyo but I found one of these for $100.00. I was wondering if anyone has converted one of these to a kegerator. I'm concerned it may be alittle small for two corneys and CO2 tank. I think the one review is for a sankey kegerator and I'm not interested in using a sankey.

Here is the link: http://www.target.com/Igloo-Stainle...?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k:mini fridge&page=1

Without even closely checking the dimensions, here is the deal-breaker that is immediately apparent. The little "freezer compartment" is actually the cooling plate, bent into the shape of an enclosed shelf. It's not likely you'll fit kegs in there with it in place, but it's not something that can be removed.

The Sanyo 4910/11/12 series has no freezer compartment. That, and it's internal dimensions, are what makes it an ideal candidate for conversion.

Sorry I forgot to put the deminsions.

• Energy efficient, 4.6-cu.-ft. refrigerator with a sleek brushed stainless steel exterior and invisible door handle
• 7 temperature settings; 3 tempered glass shelves slide out
• Ideal for use behind the bar with a 48-can or 24-bottle capacity
• Adjustable legs; CFC free; flush back design; 115V AC power cord
• No assembly required; 21.2Lx22Wx32.2H"

Read Post #2

Some people have "bent" the cooling plate freezers and made it work, but you myswell spend the extra $100 and buy the ideal 4912 IMHO...

yeah if you accidentally break that shelf trying to bend it, you dump the coolant, and are out $100.

I personally am not handy enough to pull it off.
That setup would work for the little 2.5-3 gallon cornies, but those cost more than the fridge!

I was also looking at that unit at target the other day. The freezer compartment looks like a removable drawer looking at the picture on the box. it is about 3/4 the width of the inside. I am thinking of going back to the store to see if they will take one out of the box for me to measure.

BREW N QUE said:
I was also looking at that unit at target the other day. The freezer compartment looks like a removable drawer looking at the picture on the box. it is about 3/4 the width of the inside. I am thinking of going back to the store to see if they will take one out of the box for me to measure.

Yeah....let me know what you find out.

Kind of off topic, is there a list with a run down of all the refrigerators you can use? I was looking for a cheaper one as well, the sanyo is 200 bucks right now at bestbuy, i was looking for something a bit less expensive

Pep Boys has those Igloos with a $30.00 rebate right now (at least in NC & SC), but after looking and seeing the freezer I decided to pass. A $69.99 kegerator would have been sweet though.

BREW N QUE said:

Hey BREW N QUE,

Did you ever go back to the store and mesure???

I`m using a 4.6 cu Sylvania bar fridge with no freezer I got on surplus sale at my local furniture store. U have to stager the kegs so they will fit. If any keg are out of shape they maybe won`t fit. Pin lock will not fit for sure. So kept that in mind before buying.

bringing this thread back from the dead!!!

anybody ever convert one of these? i have one that i plan on converting and it would be helpful if i could get any advice.
:mug:

Back